Student Organizations

Join the InKind Consulting Program for 2017-2018

Calling all UIC Liautaud students! Are you looking to strengthen your resume and give back to the community at the same time? Are you interested in helping a local Chicago organizations streamline its finances, create a new marketing strategy, or even improve its network security? What is inKind? InKind Consulting is a student-led, pro-bono consulting program created by the MBA Association and Net Impact student organizations from the UIC Liautaud Graduate Business School.  The InKind program... read more

The Stewards of Business Student Organizations

Since 1973, the CSSLA ceremony has recognized outstanding student leaders and student volunteers who, while maintaining high academic achievement, demonstrate a commitment to the UIC community through participation in student organizations and campus activities and throughout the greater Chicagoland area through active service and community engagement. One of this year’s award recipients was Michael J. Mlekowski, an MBA candidate at UIC Liautaud. Below, Michael tells us about his work for the... read more

The Rewards of Student Leadership

One highlight of the academic year is the annual Chancellor’s Student Service and Leadership Awards (CSSLA) ceremony. Since 1973, the CSSLA ceremony has recognized outstanding student leaders and student volunteers who, while maintaining high academic achievement, demonstrate a commitment to the UIC community through participation in student organizations and campus activities and throughout the greater Chicagoland area through active service and community engagement. One of this year’s award... read more

The Pursuit of Social Good at UIC Liautaud

Jill Kozeluh, MBA '12, has been busy with UIC lately. She recently participated in a housing and economic development panel hosted by UIC’s Net Impact chapter, where she introduced UIC Business students to the work of Accion Chicago. She also paid a visit to Professor Renko’s social entrepreneurship class to talk about microfinance for Chicago’s underserved entrepreneurs. On top of all this, she’s looking forward to a new connection between her work at Accion Chicago and a fresh partnership... read more

UIC ALPFA Chapter Wins Sponsorships for Vegas Convention

On the morning of Saturday, October 1, UIC Business students Cristian Perez and Elizabeth Molina sat down for a round of “Who’s the real CPA?” at the UIUC College of Business. Three professionals stood at the front of an auditorium before an audience of nearly 300 people and answered questions about their personal lives, with audience members trying to guess who was and was not a professional accountant. Questions from the audience touched on professional background, lifestyle, and family... read more

Find Your Liautaud Student Organization

The first week of term was a whirlwind. You worked or interned over the summer, and jumped from the frying pan into the fire. But by now you've adjusted (we hope) and put your priorities in order. If you're new to Liautaud and haven't yet joined a graduate student organization, now's the time to choose. UIC Liautaud encourages all students to become a part of the campus community by joining at least one of the many graduate student organizations at UIC Business. We've already done a lot of... read more

Join the Liautaud Consulting Groups at inKind

We’ve already blogged a bit about how student organizations at UIC Business can help you win scholarships and land jobs. These organizations also offer business students opportunities to apply classroom lessons and fill out their resumés with valuable work-related experience, and when it comes to consulting work, students need look no further than inKind at UIC Business. Liautaud students interested in consulting should read on for details about how to get involved in the 2016-17 year inKind... read more

Management Students Meet Deere Executives

UIC Business Professor Michael Miller recently took a group of undergraduates to the John Deere headquarters in the Quad Cities. Anthony Gleeson, a student of Miller's, made a video to document the trip. Below, Miller and Gleeson share a few thoughts about the experience. MM: These trips began through the Management Leadership Association here at UIC Business. I’m the faculty advisor for the MLA, and Ali Mohammed, who just graduated, is the current president. From the beginning, I wanted to do... read more

Firsthand Lessons in Leadership: ENACTUS at UIC Business

A lot of UIC Business students don’t know about the chapter of ENACTUS on campus. “Recruiting has been a challenge,” says Patricia Soto, the chapter’s current President. “People ask me, ‘what do you guys do?’ I tell them we create projects to empower community members, and they ask, ‘what does that mean?’ In the end, I just have to show them our work.” Soto founded the UIC chapter of ENACTUS about a year ago, during her sophomore year. “Founded, or reopened; I learned from Professor Anthony... read more

From Accounting Club to Accounting Firm

by Geraldine Deliva President, Accounting Club In the coming weeks, I’ll finish my MSA at UIC Liautaud, sit for the CPA exam, and start working downtown at Grant Thornton. Unlike the Big Four, Grant Thornton hasn’t recruited at UIC Business for a while. I met them through the Illinois CPA Society, which I got involved with at UIC Business, but I digress—today I want to tell you about the Accounting Club, and maybe along the way I can explain how it helped me get to where I am now. The Accounting... read more

The Graduate Finance & Investment Group at UIC Liautaud

Do you want experience managing stock portfolios, but aren’t sure where to start? Need practice writing an investment thesis or pitching a finance strategy to a start-up? The Graduate Finance & Investment Group (GFIG) at UIC Liautaud helps students understand the world of finance, both by educating students in the practices of the financial sector and by offering networking opportunities that connect students with finance professionals. GFIG has a lot going on. Each semester, we host our... read more

Student Organization Spotlight: Business Analytics Organization

Many students underestimate the importance of building relationships during their time in school. Liautaud students have heard again and again and again the importance of building a personal network during school and maintaining it into our careers. The student organizations at UIC Business provide some of the best opportunities for students to network and build lasting friendships, but each student only has so much time to devote to extracurriculars, and finding the right organization can be... read more

Marisa Randle and the Art of the Career

Career paths are seldom picture perfect, and there’s no single route to a given job. A career is a composition, a variety of experiences and steps taken in pursuit of success. But one thing you’ll find behind most stories of success is a combination of hard work, opportunity and the good sense to jump at opportunity when it arises. On the evening of February 18, Marisa Randle, MBA ’11, spoke to the Graduate Marketing Association (GMARK) at UIC Liautaud about the pathways from the MBA to our... read more

Bowling Together with the Business Scholars

Last Wednesday, the UIC Business Scholars got together with our faculty mentors to discuss something other than business for change - anything but, really - as we bowled together at The Alley in UIC’s Student Center East. UIC Business students are matched with faculty mentors when they enter the Business Scholars program. Our faculty mentors advise our courses of study and help us network in our chosen industries.   Business Scholar Elizabeth Milaicki has two faculty mentors this... read more

Introducing INFORMS

Institute for Operations Research and Management Sciences (INFORMS) Who we are You know those people who use free pizza to lure audiences to their boring PowerPoint presentations? Or people who waste hours at a conference table batting around buzzwords? We are NOT them. We are the young consultants, coders and zealous geeks of UIC Liautaud united against the boring misuse of pizza and of time. What we do We organize events to help MIS students, MSBA students and anyone from the information... read more

GMARK Gets Inside the Mind of a Recruiter

In a perfect world, job applicants like myself would exercise powers of telepathy to grasp what employers are looking for. Just imagine - as soon as I see an opening posted online, I Google a little to figure out who the hiring manager is, and then mind-read across the short distance from UIC to the loop, tailoring my application to their very thoughts. When I show up for the interview, it’s as if I’ve walked out of their dreams.  Alas, all I can hope is that employers will tell me what they’re... read more

Latino Association of Business Students Hosts Deloitte

The Latino Association of Business Students (LABS) at UIC Business recently hosted representatives from Deloitte. After the event, LABS member Daisy Espinoza and LABS VP Leticia Esparza took a moment to share their LABS experience with the Business blog. What were your paths to LABS at UIC Business? DE: I’m from the Chicago area. At my previous college, I wasn’t focused on business. But someone there introduced me to the campus accounting club, and it sparked an interest. From that point on, my... read more

Business Scholars Spotlight: Michael Martinez, Class of 2019

1. Tell me a little about yourself. Hello! My name is Michael Martinez, and I'm a UIC Business Scholar. I'm pursuing a dual-degree at UIC: a BS in finance from UIC Business and a BS in biological sciences. As a dual degree student, I'm very passionate about my studies, and I'm always trying to expand the scope of my education. I'm a member of three UIC programs: the President's Award Program, the UIC Business Scholars, and the Guaranteed Professional Program Admissions for medicine (GPPA for... read more

Collegiate Association of Business Scholars hosts Peer Mentoring Event

Last Wednesday, the Collegiate Association of Business Scholars hosted a mid-semester check in event for the freshman Business Scholars at Jak’s Tap Restaurant. In the beginning of the year, each Freshman Scholar was paired with a Sophomore or Junior Scholar. The purpose of a peer mentoring program was to help each Freshman Scholar with their transition from high school to college.  The objective for the peer mentoring check-in was ensure that freshmen had a smooth transition to UIC and... read more

Business Scholars Volunteer for the Chicago Marathon

This Sunday on October 11, 2015, my fellow business scholars took part in volunteering for the Bank of America Chicago Marathon. Every year the Chicago Marathon attracts growing numbers. The event, owned by Bank of America, is one of the six World Marathon Majors alongside the Boston, New York, London, Berlin and Tokyo Marathons. Each semester, the Collegiate Association of Business Scholars (CABS) organizes volunteering events so that the Business Scholars can give back to their community.... read more