Your browser is unsupported

We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alumni Profile: Megan Sparks, MBA 2011

Megan Sparks
MBA 2011

• Concentration: Marketing/International Business
  • Pre-Degree Industry/Field of Work: Medical Supplies/Telecommunications
  • Post-Degree Industry/Field of Work: Consumer Packaged Goods
  • Undergraduate Degree: B.S. in Finance
  • Undergraduate Institution: Eastern Illinois University
  • Current Employer: Kellogg, Marketing Associate
  • Linkedin Profile

Why did you return to school to obtain your Graduate Business Degree?
I returned to school to obtain my business degree to ensure that I opened up every door for advancement in the professional world. An MBA not only allows you to broaden your skill set but allows you to strengthen your overall contribution in the workplace.

Why did you choose UIC Liautaud?
I chose UIC because of the intimate class size and the opportunity to study abroad. I felt UIC was a place that would challenge me and at the same time provide me with a solid framework to enter the workforce and be able to contribute immediately.

What has been the most unexpected gain resulting from your Liautaud degree?
The most unexpected gain that resulted from my degree was the lasting friendships that I created. The network of people I was able to establish in a short amount of time speaks loudly to the quality of the school as well as the genuiness of the students.

How has your Liautaud experience influenced your career to date?
When I first entered the MBA program I was undecided as to which industry I wanted to pursue a marketing career. After participating in the Know Europe Program, I was able to gain invaluable experience in the CPG industry which led to me pursuing a career at Kellogg.

Which course or professor was your favorite and why?
While there are several professors that are well deserving of being recognized, Professor Spanjol was my favorite. She taught each class with such passion and really dug deep into all angles to analyze marketing decisions. She was able to take all the knowledge I had gained from all disciplines and apply them to marketing in a strategic way. It was the most challenging course I took but by far the most rewarding.

What was your favorite aspect of the UIC Liautaud program?
The intimacy the program presents is my favorite aspect of UIC. Every professor knows you by name which allows you to have the opportunity to individually excel. UIC also provides the ability to tailor your learning to your passion to ensure a high rate of success.

How would you define the Liautaud student?
A Jack of all trades. I think the Liautaud student possesses a 360 degree of characteristics. Hardworking, intelligent, passionate, ambitious and social are just a few. We make the most out of every situation and work hard to earn what we are given.

Now that you’ve graduated, what advice do you have for current and/or prospective Liautaud Students?
Take the time to get to know your classmates. UIC attracts alot of hidden talent which hold limitless potential. Build up your network, challenge yourself in every class and make a difference in the time you are there.

To learn more about the Liautaud Graduate School of Business, meet with a Student Ambassador or schedule a class visit, click here to send your request to our Admissions team.