Your browser is unsupported

We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alumni Profile: Marisa Randle, MBA 2011

Marisa Randle
MBA 2011

• Concentration: Marketing
  • Pre-Degree Industry/Field of Work: Advertising & Marketing
  • Post-Degree Industry/Field of Work:Corporate Strategy/Marketing
  • Undergraduate Degree: B.S. in Advertising
  • Undergraduate Institution:University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
  • Current Employer: Walgreens, Market Manager – Market Planning & Research
  • Linkedin Profile

Why did you return to school to obtain your Graduate Business Degree:
I always knew I wanted to pursue a graduate degree, but I was having a hard time deciding between a marketing-specific degree and something broader, an MBA. Ultimately, I realized that getting the business degree would be the better fit. I realized that it would provide me the opportunity to develop new skills and strengthen those that I had, as well as open up new possibilities for me in the future as well.

Why did you choose UIC Liautaud:
I chose UIC Liautaud for two main reasons:

Since UIC is part of the University of Illinois system I felt that I was “keeping it in the family”. After attending undergrad in Champaign, going to UIC sounded like a great opportunity to extend my Illinois education, while being able to stay in the great city of Chicago, where I had been developing my career and professional network (not to mention, a serious love of Chicago food, culture and the summers that we live for around here!).

I also had the chance to meet some Liautaud students and alumni prior to applying, and after meeting them, UIC Liautaud felt like the right fit.

What has been the most unexpected gain resulting from your Liautaud degree:
I wanted to get a broader business education with the MBA versus a more specialized degree, but I thought I knew exactly what kind of job I would take after graduation. I ended up taking a job that actually pulls a wide range of my UIC Liautaud experience together on a daily basis- research, marketing, economics, finance. Before this degree, I might have followed a more predictable, specific route, but afterwards I was able to step out of my comfort zone. I think that will pay off in the future – and it was definitely a result I had not anticipated.

How has your Liautaud experience influenced your career to date?
My Liautaud experience certainly made me more marketable. I feel that I have a lot more options in my career path as a result.

Which course or professor was your favorite and why:
Marketing Management, Professor Jelena Spanjol. She really pushed us to think critically, and her class was great preparation for real, post-MBA work. For someone such as myself, who had previously been working in more of a creative/right-brain environment, this class challenged me and helped hone those analytical skills that I wanted to strengthen, in order to combine with that existing work experience I had.

What was your favorite aspect of the UIC Liautaud program:
My favorite aspect was the people I worked with in the classroom and outside, in all of the student groups. I really met some great, hardworking individuals who actually care about one another.

How would you define the Liautaud student:
The Liautaud student is unique and hard working.

Now that you’ve graduated, what advice do you have for current and/or prospective Liautaud Students:
Don’t underestimate the impact you can make while in the program. Its a smaller program so there are some great opportunities to really go for it.

To learn more about the Liautaud Graduate School of Business, meet with a Student Ambassador or schedule a class visit, click here to send your request to our Admissions team.