Your browser is unsupported

We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alumni Profile: David Henkes, MBA 1996

David Henkes
MBA 1996

• Concentration: Business/Marketing and International Business
  • Pre-Degree Industry/Field of Work: Federal investigation
  • Post-Degree Industry/Field of Work: Marketing consulting
  • Undergraduate Degree: B.A. in International Studies
  • Undergraduate Institution: American University
  • Current Employer: Vice President at Technomic
  • Linkedin Profile

Why did you return to school to obtain your Graduate Business Degree: I had a classic Liberal Arts major and realized I need more practical, hands-on experience and knowledge. Business school was the avenue to obtain the skills I needed.

Why did you choose UIC Liautaud: Chicago is a very attractive city and UIC provided the best opportunity to study as well as obtain an international internship. My 6 month stint as an intern at Nestle Germany was invaluable.

What has been the most unexpected gain resulting from your Liautaud degree: The experiences in Germany definitely impacted my attractiveness as a candidate to my current employer. Those experiences along with the top notch education and lifelong friendships were things that can’t be replicated.

How has your Liautaud experience influenced your career to date?: As noted, working for an international food company made my resume stand out. The courses in marketing, accounting and finance have all shaped the consulting work I do for my clients.

How would you define the Liautaud student?
Liautaud students are hungry and ambitious. They typically work harder and make sure they prove themselves time and time again.

Now that you’ve graduated, what advice do you have for current and/or prospective Liautaud Students:
Study hard but don’t miss out on the opportunities that cross your path.

Is there anything else that you’d like to share with the Liautaud community?
I was a UIC Loyalty Award winner in 2010.

To learn more about the Liautaud Graduate School of Business, meet with a Student Ambassador or schedule a class visit, click here to send your request to our Admissions team.