As we near the end of the Spring semester, it seems that Graduation is just around the corner. For those of you who are graduating from UIC in May, this is a pivotal time to continue to pursue your post-UIC plans and launch your career. Whether you are currently searching for your first full-time career position or have already secured your dream job, it’s important to get started on accomplishing your career goals.
Landing Your First Job After UIC
Conducting a successful job search is a full-time job in itself, which is why typically many students are continuing to search for a job after graduation. It can be challenging to juggle a job search with a full load of classes, part-time jobs and campus activities during the academic year. But don’t be discouraged if you’re still job-seeking! Each year a high percentage of UIC graduates obtain jobs within six months after graduation. The Business Career Center can still assist you with a variety of resources and services.
Job seekers should:
- Regularly check UICcareers.com for current job postings and employer events
- Utilize the online resume review and mock interview services through UICcareers.com
- Upload your resume into the BCC’s Resume Books through UICcareers.com
- Consider attending the New Grad Career Fair on May 14, 2021
- Meet with your Career Coach to plan your job search strategy and get help with your resume, cover letters, LinkedIn profiles and interviewing skills
Starting Strong In Your First Job
So you’ve landed your first professional job -- What will it take to be successful? Follow these recommendations to ensure that you get off to a strong start during the first 90 days in your new job:
- Listen well to others and learn your company’s culture and norms
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions and ask for help
- Learn your manager’s communication and work styles
- Anticipate needs, show initiative, and communicate proactively
- Build positive relationships within your team, and develop contacts with other departments
- Understand the criteria upon which your performance will be evaluated, monitor your progress against those metrics, and keep a record of your accomplishments
- Create your own career growth plan, continuing to set goals and grow your professional skills
On behalf of the Business Career Center team: Congratulations on your graduation from UIC! Please know that we are here to assist and support you in launching your career – even after graduation. You can reach us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or (312) 996-5139.