Your browser is unsupported

We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Student Organization Spotlight: American Marketing Association

In light of a new academic year, UIC Business is excited to continue the tradition of highlighting organizations that enhance the quality of students' lives. The American Marketing Association (AMA) makes a strong effort to do so. "We believe that marketing is more than just a major or a career path, marketing is a skill that everyone should have." AMA holds these words true, and is proud to see members secure employment at companies like Bosch, Leo Burnett, P&G, Starcom and many others. Anela Hanic, president of AMA at UIC, gave an overview of what the organization has to offer.

Two young women holding up a large frame around their faces with

What is the purpose of AMA?

The purpose of AMA is to provide students with real-world experience through business workshops, networking activities, professional marketing events and internship opportunities through our Five94′ in-house agency. Membership in AMA UIC gives you an internationally recognized credential and access to resources. Join our talented group of Chicagoland area professionals who are committed to marketing.

Tell us about the impact that AMA has and describe the events that you organize.

At AMA, we are a family. We make it a priority to encourage, motivate and inspire each other at every meeting and event. AMA focuses on building a community of like-minded individuals that support one another and are dedicated to goal achievement. The wide range of professional events we host are guest speaker events, workshops, certifications, panel events in collaboration with other organizations, site visits and regional conferences. Along with that, we offer multiple programs and hands-on learning. These programs include the Aspire Mentorship Program, Apprenticeship Program and our in-house agency, Five94′ marketing solutions.

AMA members at the 2020 National Collegiate Conference in New Orleans

Congratulations on placing 25 among 300+ chapters, and receiving other awards, at the 2020 National Collegiate Conference in New Orleans. What was it like planning and preparing for such a huge conference?

We could not have achieved our goal without our AMAzing members. This conference is not only a moment for us to shine as a chapter, but to give our members the chance to utilize all of the skills they learned within the year while partaking in multiple competitions. We prepared for the conference by giving our members exclusive access to training workshops, skills workshops and providing numerous opportunities for them to exceed their goals.

How can students get involved and what is the takeaway for them?

Students can get involved with AMA by attending our introductory meeting, which will take place on September 1, 2020 from 5-6:30 p.m. via Zoom. Also, students are encouraged to create an official account through our website, www.amauichicago.org. To stay informed and updated, follow us on social media! The biggest takeaway that AMA can offer is a variety of internship and job opportunities through the networking events that we have. Due to COVID-19, it may be hard for some students to find a job or internship; but, AMA is committed to helping our members get there.

AMA members

What is the highlight of your involvement with AMA? 

My highlight is the option of leadership within the organization. I went from being a member to vice president and now the current president. I learned so much about myself that I didn’t know before and gained tremendous knowledge about corporate culture. Now, I love having the chance to provide similar experiences for the members and my executive board. I would also like to add that AMA was the reason why I landed my first internship. AMA helped me break out of my shell and become a confident, intelligent businesswoman.

Finally, how important do you think it is to be a part of a student organization at UIC?

I think it is extremely important to surround yourself with individuals who have similar goals and will help you achieve. One of my favorite quotes is, “We are the average of the five people we spend the most time with,” by Jiim Rohn. I share this quote with others, because the people you associate with impact your decisions and goals in life. I believe that being a part of an organization is a great idea. I definitely recommend students to step out of their comfort zones and find their top five people.

Interested in joining AMA? Learn more at AMA UI Chicago. You can also RSVP for the September 1 Introductory Meeting.