Your browser is unsupported

We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Meet the 2021 CME Group Foundation Scholars

Six UIC Business students have been selected to receive the highly competitive and prestigious CME Group Foundation Scholarship. This award is designed to support the education of Black and Latinx students majoring in finance, computer science or applied mathematics. Each recipient will receive a renewable scholarship worth up to $20,000 per year. The scholars competed for the award against students from CME partner schools that included UIUC, DePaul University, Northern Illinois University, and Loyola University Chicago.

Alice Callejas, '23

Alice Callejas, ‘23

• Major in Finance, Minor in Business Analytics and International Business
  • 3.79 GPA
  • UIC Business Scholar, President of CABS, Member of ALPFA, Head of Corporate Relations for FIG, CEO Network

Alice is a junior majoring in finance and minoring in business analytics and international business. The content in her award-winning scholarship application was inspired by the uneven economic impact caused by the pandemic. “Before we went virtual, I was unsure of what I wanted to do career-wise. One thing that the pandemic did was reinforce my desire to help people achieve financial stability.” Alice is eager to begin a career in finance that will help others start a business, purchase a car, buy a home, obtain a business loan, and learn about ways to manage and save money. She envisions herself giving back to the Hispanic community and underrepresented individuals who could benefit from her expertise.

Alice is actively involved in the UIC Business Scholars program, the Collegiate Association of Business Scholars (CABS), the Association of Latino Professionals for America (ALPFA), the Finance Investment Group (FIG), and the CEO Network.

Sergio Palomino, ‘22

Sergio Palomino, ‘22

• Major in Finance
  • 3.81 GPA
  • UIC Business Scholar, Special Events and Recruitment Team Leader for CABS

Sergio is a senior majoring in finance and a first-generation college student. After strongly considering community college, he decided to attend UIC. The university’s affordability, diverse community, and student involvement opportunities caught his attention. Eventually, he took a semester off to work at an investment bank and learned quite a bit about his professional interests. “Before returning to UIC, I felt like my life had been put on hold; but this taught me to persevere. I really enjoyed the aspect of teamwork within investment banking and found that raising capital for companies was fascinating and challenging.” Sergio is pursuing a career in investment banking and looks forward to securing a full-time analyst position in Chicago.

In addition to being a UIC Business Scholar, Sergio is a Special Events and Recruitment Team Leader for the Collegiate Association of Business Scholars (CABS).

Fanny Munoz, ‘22

Fanny Munoz, ‘22

• Major in Finance
  • 3.84 GPA
  • UIC Business Scholar, Special Events and Recruitment Team Member for CABS

Fanny is a senior majoring in finance and a first-generation college student. Citing a brief break from school to work and save for tuition, she faced adversity and turned it into triumph. “To graduate on time, I had to take 18-21 credit hours each semester. Although the last few years have been extremely challenging, I am grateful for the experience.” She continues, “The CME Foundation Scholarship will allow me to focus on my career and develop the skills necessary for a position in the very competitive investment banking and private equity industries.” After graduation, Fanny’s goal is to work as a full-time analyst at an investment bank. Eventually, she would like to transition to private equity.

Fanny is a UIC Business Scholar, member of the Collegiate Association of Business Scholars (CABS) Special Events and Recruitment team, Genesys Works alumna, and Koldyke Fellow.

Vivianna Torres, ‘23

Vivianna Torres, ‘23

• Major in Finance, Minor in Information and Decision Sciences
  • 3.5 GPA
  • UIC Business Scholar, FIG Member

Vivianna is a junior majoring in finance and minoring in information and decision sciences. As a dedicated student and developing professional, she commits to working 3 – 4 days a week and finishing the next few semesters with a minimum 3.6 GPA. “I chose to major in finance because of influences on me while growing up, the enjoyment I find in my finance classes, the ways that I can use finance to help businesses be successful, and the opportunities for job stability and career advancement.”

Vivianna is proud to be a UIC Business Scholar and member of the Finance Investment Group (FIG) on campus.

Daniel Larios Bautista, ‘22

Daniel Larios Bautista, ‘22

• Major in Finance, Minor in Economics
  • 3.78 GPA
  • UIC Business Scholar, Member of the Honors College, Co-Founder of the Finance Analyst of Quantitative Trading Club, Treasurer of the Accounting Club, Sector Analyst for PMT, Chairmen of Corporate Relations for Beta Alpha Psi, Captain of the Recreational Soccer Team

Daniel is a senior majoring in finance and minoring in economics. After graduation, he would like to pursue an MBA or MSF degree. He is intrigued by career opportunities in fixed income, trading, commercial banking, investment banking, equity research, and portfolio management. “My father specifically ingrained in me the belief that those who work hard will eventually attain their goals. This made me want to solely focus on my education to jumpstart what I want to do in the future.”

To broaden his leadership abilities and knowledge in business, Daniel participates in a variety of extracurricular activities such as: the UIC Business Scholars program, the Honors College, the Quantitative Trading Club, the Accounting Club, the Portfolio Management Team (PMT), Beta Alpha Psi and the Recreational Soccer team.

Krystal Aranda, ‘23

Krystal Aranda, ‘23

• Major in Finance, Minor in Business Analytics
  • 3.72 GPA
  • UIC Business Scholar, UIC Business Cohort Captain, Treasurer for ALPHA, LARES Leader

Krystal Aranda is a junior majoring in finance and minoring in business analytics. Her dream of becoming a successful businesswoman was largely inspired by her grandparents. “My grandpa came to Chicago in 1980, when he was 19 years old, and settled in the Back of the Yards neighborhood. He opened his own neighborhood grocery store, where he worked every day for over 20 years.” She continues, “He dedicated his life to providing access to healthy foods for his community and tried to make it a better place. His example led me to choose a career that promotes economic development in minority communities.”

Another influence on Krystal’s career choice was Gerardo Martinez, a former asset manager and broker-dealer for the Illinois State Treasury. “He spoke [at a LARES Leader event] about how he invests government money into minority businesses in Illinois. I was so moved that I knew this was the career for me.”

Krystal will begin an internship with J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. in the summer of 2022. On campus, she is a proud UIC Business Scholar, UIC Business Cohort Captain, Treasurer for the Association of Latino Professionals for America (ALPFA) and Latin American Recruitment and Educational Services (LARES) Leader.

Congratulations to this year’s winners!