Your browser is unsupported

We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Local Nonprofit Helps Alumni Discover Their Purpose Through Service

QuanTâm logo

Finding your purpose through civic engagement often involves introspection. “How can I make the world a better place?” is easy to ask, but not so simple to answer. QuanTâm is a 501c3 nonprofit founded by Lan Nguyen Chaplin, Associate Professor of Marketing. The organization helps UIC Business student and alumni team members discover their purpose as they work to improve the lives of society’s most vulnerable individuals. Partnering with local businesses on projects, called Operations, gives team members the opportunity to fundraise and provide essentials to low-income and homeless individuals, children from minority backgrounds, LGBTQ youth, and at-risk high schoolers.

These unique experiences encourage students to step out of their comfort zones; and alumni remain connected to QuanTâm long after graduating. Continue reading for perspectives from alumni on how their efforts help local communities, and how QuanTâm has impacted their lives.

Stefano Quaranta, BS Marketing, Managerial Skills Minor, ‘19

Sales Representative (Unilever), Advantage Solutions

How has QuanTâm helped you discover your purpose?

QuanTâm helped me solidify my love for creativity. When I joined QuanTâm, we were encouraged to discover how our unique skills could benefit the team. Naturally, I fell into designing our team’s logo and posters for our Operations. I have a background in a lot of creative activities like graphic design, theater, singing, and dance; but took a detour thinking that I would be better off pursuing a career in business. The team taught me to embrace everything that makes me special, apply it towards the success of our Operations, and that using my creative skills could be my future.

Dovlie Guzauskaite, BS Marketing ‘19

Dovlie Guzauskaite, BS Marketing ‘19
Divisional Lead of Secondary Marketing, Guaranteed Rate

Tell us about your favorite QuanTâm Operation.

I find every single Operation, regardless of size, to be important and meaningful. Operation QuanTâm Brings a Friend to Class continues to be my favorite because we were able to enjoy a day making connections with students from Chicago Public Schools. We invited them to campus, and to join our classes, so they could see college through their own eyes. They surprised us all by actively wanting to participate! Many of them left saying that they couldn’t wait to come to college. Hearing this, I knew that the Operation was a true success.

It was about showing CPS students that not only are they capable of achieving great things, but that they have opportunities that will help them accomplish anything they set their minds to; and that no matter their background, exploring higher education can and will always be an option for them.

Allan Rodriguez, BS Marketing ‘18

Allan Rodriguez, BS Marketing ‘18
Lead Recruiter/Account Manager, RHM Staffing Solutions

What keeps you strongly connected to QuanTâm years after you’ve graduated from UIC Business?

The relationships. Both with Professor Chaplin and with the team. When the group gets together, it is as if we’ve seen each other the week before. We are driven and hardworking individuals, but we have gone out of our way to help one another. Tenured members catch up on each other’s lives, and we meet with the younger members to share our experiences and offer advice. Also, Professor Chaplin opens her house and resources for us to have get togethers. When I was an active member with QuanTâm, it amazed me to see how much time and energy she dedicated to these select students with no incentive other than seeing us grow as professionals and as people. It inspires all of us to do the same in our own lives with the ones that we care about.

Melody Ladowski, BS Marketing, International Business Minor, ‘16

Brand Marketing Manager, Robert Bosch Tool Corporation

Can you share with us how the lessons you’ve learned from QuanTâm shaped your career?

Through my experience with QuanTâm, I have seen individuals leap outside of their comfort zone. Whether it be to interact with a member of a local non-profit group to better understand ways in which they can benefit from contribution, listening to someone’s story who is currently homeless and truly wanting to understand their journey, or writing countless anonymous heartfelt letters to kids who could use a spark of inspiration to feel connected to their virtual classmates when they are at home.

No matter your background, experience, or age, you always have the ability to make an impact in the community around you. In leadership, kindness is an extremely valuable trait that can be multiplied tenfold with a group that maintains similar core values. Even in situations where roadblocks may get in the way of the original plan, learning to lean on trust of your peers and contributors can lead to a greater result. However, in times where a full group collaboration may not be possible, as individuals, we still have the power to make an impact.

This has given me immense confidence within my career to step up to opportunities knowing that I cannot fail if I am driven by a mindset of service and curiosity. I feel inspired to look for the collaborative ways that my role in my career can be of service to those who I support. My unique experiences and skillsets that have the potential to drive positive change. This motivates me to seek out new ways to challenge the status quo and inspire others along the way.

Laura Nicolescu, BS Marketing, International Business Minor, ‘18

Marketing Communications Coordinator, ZF Aftermarket

What would you like others to know about how QuanTâm has impacted your life?

QuanTâm taught me that you don’t have to be the smartest person at school, at work or in your family to be successful. Success is how you define it, not a comparison of your accomplishments versus someone else’s. The foundation of QuanTâm stems from love for the self and others. From that, success is inevitable. The fear of success is closely intertwined with the fear of failure, and QuanTâm taught me that the ultimate failure is the fear of trying. I never viewed myself as a leader before this team, and I surely wouldn’t be able to feel that way without remembering my teammates who encouraged and supported me throughout our successes.

To learn more about QuanTâm and past Operations, visit the organization’s website. If you are interested in joining a QuanTâm Professional Development Workshop, please email Lan Nguyen Chaplin, Associate Professor of Marketing.