Your browser is unsupported

We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Introducing UIC Business Adviser: Janasha Prabhu

In December 2019, Janasha Prabhu an alumnus of the University of Illinois Springfield joined the UIC Business Family as an undergraduate academic adviser serving Accounting majors. Janasha will be working closely with the students to help them in their academic journey at UIC Business. We had the chance of catching up with her as she got settled in her new role:

Janasha Prabhu, Academic Adviser

Favorite Chicago Activities/Places:
I’ve only had a short month to get to know Chicago (having recently moved from Springfield, Illinois) but I already enjoy walking down to the lakefront with friends, spending time in Old Town, and continuing on my never-ending search for new food to try. I’m also a writer with a lifelong dream of publication, so I spend a lot of time typing away with my writing group at Argo Tea. In the future, I’d love to join a tennis rec team to continue from my college-playing days, run The 606, and find the best place for ramen in the city.

Favorite Chicago Restaurants: 
I’ll be honest, I’ve spent a lot of my time here so far in restaurants. The ones that have really stood out would have to be Lou Malnati’s, Ramen-san, and Maison Marcel… and for something sweet, I always go to Jeni’s for the brambleberry crisp!

Favorite Chicago Deep Dish:  
Lou Malnati’s, hands down.

Favorite Netflix show?
I don’t think I can pick a favorite but I’m an avid fan of Stranger Things, Elite, and The Haunting of Hill House to name a few. I finally caught up with all available seasons of The Walking Dead!

Tell us a little about your personal/professional background?
I’ve had a rollercoaster ride when it comes to getting to where I am today. After earning my bachelor’s degree in Chemistry and then my master’s in Computer Science from the University of Illinois Springfield, I worked for a year as a software developer before realizing that higher education was where I truly wanted to be. I spent a lot of time in college working as a teaching assistant and tutor for the students of UIS and this wonderful experience was one of the factors that inspired me to go into advising. The other inspiration is my mom, who has spent several years teaching special education and who genuinely makes a positive impact in her students’ lives every day.

What led you to UIC?
After spending so much time with the University of Illinois prior to becoming an adviser, I knew right away that I wanted to stay within this university. The University of Illinois Chicago really stood out to me with its sense of community and its location. Being able to experience city life while also meeting and making connections with people of all different backgrounds really drew me to this school.

What are you most excited to do in your new role? 
I’m most excited to get to know my students and more importantly, to have a positive impact on their time here. Whether I was helping teach a course or advising, my favorite part of working in higher education has always been the moment I know I’ve really helped a student. I look forward to having many more of those moments at UIC!

If you could give one piece of advice to UIC Business students, what would it be?
I’d be super cliché and tell them that now is the time to make mistakes and to really take the time to find what they’re most passionate about… but I’m speaking from personal experience! It may have taken me a few tries to figure out where I truly wanted to be, but looking back I wouldn’t have done it any other way. For the students here at UIC, now is your time to experiment and explore and really go for what you want!

Thank you Janasha for sharing your story with us and we look forward to working closely with you. We are indeed grateful to have you in our team to help students in their academic journey at UIC Business. Schedule an appointment or email her at jprabhu2@uic.edu.