Your browser is unsupported

We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Beta Gamma Sigma | The Value of Joining an International Business Honor Society

Beta Gamma Sigma logo

Beta Gamma Sigma at UIC, established in 1973, is a premier honors society for outstanding business students. Through its commitment to leadership and academic excellence, the chapter upholds the core values which Beta Gamma Sigma was founded upon: honor, wisdom, and earnestness. This semester, BGS at UIC was recognized by BGS Global Headquarters Staff and the Board of Governors as a High Honors Chapter – demonstrating officers’ diligence in maintaining Beta Gamma Sigma’s stature on campus. Interested in learning more about BGS at UIC? Here, you will find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about the organization.

What is Beta Gamma Sigma?

Beta Gamma Sigma is an international business honor society that recognizes the top business students at institutions accredited by the AACSB International – The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.

How can I become a member of Beta Gamma Sigma at UIC?

Invitations are sent to the top 10% of all business students based on their cumulative GPA during the first month of the spring semester. Students must be junior or senior standing and have at least 30 semester hours completed at UIC to be eligible for an invitation.

Is there a membership fee to join Beta Gamma Sigma?

A $75 lifetime membership fee is due to accept an invitation to join BGS. This one-time payment goes directly to the organization and is utilized to fund the program as well as the many member and network benefits that are available to you for life. Additionally, students inducted into BGS will receive a membership certificate and member badge.

What are the benefits of joining Beta Gamma Sigma?

Forming part of Beta Gamma Sigma is a prestigious accomplishment that can help you stand out within your respective career field. Thus, members are encouraged to list their membership on their resumes, LinkedIn profiles, and any other career sites to showcase their commitment to academic and business excellence. Additionally, BGS members are able to attend exclusive career development opportunities, alumni networking sessions, and volunteer events.

How can I get more involved in Beta Gamma Sigma?

If you are interested in staying up-to-date with UIC’s chapter of Beta Gamma Sigma, make sure to follow us on Instagram for information about upcoming events and opportunities. Also, check out our society-wide website for more general information about Beta Gamma Sigma.

If you have any questions regarding BGS at UIC, feel free to reach out to our president, Kevin Salinas at ksalin7@uic.edu.

Hear From Members of the BGS E-board! Heading link

Kevin Salinas, President of Beta Gamma Sigma at UIC

“One of my favorite parts about BGS is the sense of belonging that I feel within the organization. It is incredibly rewarding to be a part of an organization with other students that have the same passion for business as I do. Knowing that I have a lifelong network of people who I can always go to is definitely an amazing feeling.” – Kevin Salinas, President

Jingyu Sun, Vice President of Beta Gamma Sigma at UIC

“My favorite part about being a member of BGS is the opportunity to meet business students from around the world. It gives us a platform to meet students and have a conversation about our career paths and studies. Meeting these students who have similar goals as me is an enjoyable feeling and helps me feel encouraged especially when I am met with difficulties.” – Jingyu Sun, Vice President

Emily Aguado, Treasurer & Secretary of Beta Gamma Sigma at UIC

“My favorite part about being a member of BGS is the sense of community and empowerment that I feel. I’m able to learn from BGS’ network of knowledgeable and skilled business professionals, and I feel inspired to seek out new opportunities!” – Emily Aguado, Treasurer & Secretary

Renee Valdepenas, Director of Student Relations of Beta Gamma Sigma at UIC

“My favorite part of being a member of BGS is that I am able to experience a diverse and affluent knowledge of other students’ majors and experiences within the business world! It’s super rewarding to be able to mentor one another and to keep learning about other aspects of business! Being a BGS member has helped me become a more well-rounded student and business professional.” – Renee Valdepenas, Director of Student Relations