Career Services

UIC Business Scholar Completes Internship with Enterprise

Michael Lev, a senior Business Scholar majoring in marketing and minoring in managerial skills, completed an Account Specialist Internship with Enterprise Truck Rental this summer. His many successes in the position – including receiving an award for Top Presenter among over 70 interns – were made possible by the professional skills he developed at UIC Business. Lev was invited to an interview at Enterprise’s headquarters in Lombard after connecting with a recruiter and filling out an... read more

Q&A with Dean Michael Mikhail

In 2012, Michael Mikhail joined UIC as Dean of the College of Business. In five years, he’s launched programs such as iLEAD — the Institute for Leadership Excellence and Development -- the renowned Business Scholars program, increased enrollment, and improved student outcomes. We sat down with Dean Mikhail to hear his thoughts on the past five years and learn what he looks forward to accomplishing in the future. Q: You just underwent UIC’s five-year assessment process with rave reviews. What has... read more

Social Media Recap: September 2017

Be sure to follow UIC Business on social media to stay up to date on upcoming events campus activities, business news, and fun things going on around Chicago: Instagram: @UICBusiness Twitter: @CBAatUIC Facebook Page: UIC Business  We started the Fall 2017 semester with a busy and productive month. Let’s take a look back at some highlights with our September social media recap. It’s hard to say goodbye to a carefree summer schedule when classes start.  This year’s Student Org Networking Night... read more

Touring with an Atlantic Records Artist as a Creative Director

by Johnny Fan During 2016, I worked as a creative director for Atlantic Records music artist Sir the Baptist. I served as his touring photographer and videographer and digital marketing and branding manager.  Sir the Baptist offered me this opportunity after I worked on a magazine press shoot with him.  After that connection, he was impressed by my work and found a way for us to continue collaborating. The major function of my work with Sir the Baptist consisted of building the brand of the... read more

Pitching a Client as a General Mills Intern

by Lianne Ramahi   This past summer, I had the opportunity to work at General Mills, Inc. as a business management associate intern. This role was heavily focused on data analysis for the domestic western region sales team in Scottsdale, Ariz. Throughout this experience, I was given projects similar to those that would be performed as a first-year associate. I took ownership of impactful projects that added tangible value to the company.   General Mills truly values nurturing its employees... read more

Developing Banking Industry Expertise as a BMO Intern

by Jasur Rasulov This summer, I completed an internship as a treasury sales and services officer at the BMO Harris Bank’s Treasury and Payment Solutions group in Chicago. My group was responsible for delivering cash management services to commercial clients. In my role, I primarily supported sales teams across three markets-- mid-corporate, institutional, and engineering and construction--in the fulfillment of everyday banking products. On a daily basis, I prepared and executed lending... read more

Quick Prep Tips for the Fall 2017 Business Career Fair

The Business Career Fair takes place on September 18 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. in Student Center East Illinois Rooms.  When preparing to make the most of your time with employers, ask yourself these three key questions. 1.) How will I prioritize the employers that I want to talk to? Look at the list of employers that will be at the fair the week before. There will not be time to speak to everyone, so rather than wandering around the room looking for a short line or a company name that you... read more

From UIC Business to the Magic Kingdom

by Cynthia Mancilla   Beginning in June and continuing through the end of the year, I’ve been fortunate to be working for a mouse, Mickey Mouse, as a Consumer Insights Market Research intern at the Walt Disney Company offices in Orlando, Florida.   So far, I’ve had the great pleasure of researching consumers in the U.S. as well as international consumers in Mexico, Brazil, and Canada. Part of my role is assisting in qualitative and quantitative research projects across Disney parks and... read more

UIC Business Scholar Moves from Shiftgig to BMO Harris

UIC Business Scholar Alex Alderman, a finance major in his junior year, hasn’t wasted any time diversifying his resume. In the summer of 2015, Alderman began interning at Shiftgig. This summer, he moves on to an internship at BMO Harris. It all started by connecting with other Business Scholars. “Had I not been networking among the Business Scholars, I wouldn’t have gotten the Shiftgig job,” he says. “I was lucky to meet another Scholar who already had their foot in that door.” Shiftgig, a... read more

How a UIC Transfer Student Joined a Top Consulting Firm

Samu Thomas, BS ’16, has one piece of advice for UIC Business students: find your area of interest and focus. Thomas works as an IT consultant for Maven Wave Partners, where consultants like himself help clients like Nike, US Foods, Bosch, and other familiar names stay up to speed in the digital marketplace. Thomas found this work–and the IDS degree that led to it–after a little soul-searching of his own. “Early on in college, I was doing electronic and communications engineering,” Thomas says.... read more

Liautaud Internships at BMO Harris

Amy Guo is a full-time MBA candidate graduating from UIC Liautaud next spring. Guo brings her combined backgrounds in business analytics and digital advertising to her marketing concentration at Liautaud. In this post, she shares her internship experience at BMO Harris from this past summer. In February of 2016, Jeff Wilson at the Business Career Center emailed us about internship opportunities at BMO Harris, so I took the first step toward applying, emailing the hiring manager at BMO Harris to... read more

From Military Service to Business Leadership

Rachel Kim, BS ’16, is a Technical Recruiter at OtterBase. Kim shares her insights below about how veterans can emphasize their strengths when circulating their resumés. Two veterans featured in this article are UIC students – Brian (MBA grad) and Michael (current MBA candidate at UIC). The skills that lead to success in the military can lead to success in business, which is why business schools, recruiters, and firms are on the lookout for veterans. Veterans on the job market enjoy the respect... read more

Summer in Boca Raton: Karthik Sundar's work at ADT headquarters

Karthik Sundar is a full-time MIS candidate graduating from UIC Liautaud this year. Sundar earned his B.Tech in Communications Engineering from SASTRA University in India, and has been working in the security industry with the goal of moving into marketing and CRM analytics. He recently interned for ADT, a leading provider of security and automation solutions for homes and businesses in the United States and Canada. Sundar sat down with our student writers at the beginning of the Fall 2016... read more

Keeping Data on the Rails: Miranda Powell's Work at TTX

On any given weekday, a handful of analysts are working in an office above North Wacker Drive, collecting current data on over 200,000 railcars scattered across North America, the fleet of the TTX Company. Freight is constantly in motion, and this means data is constantly pouring in. Miranda Powell, a senior at UIC Business, is one of the analysts who makes sense of it all. “A railcar goes over alerts on the tracks, and we get data from each axle or 'truck' on each car,” says Powell. “Alerts... read more

From Classroom to Factory Floor: Richard Lekakh's Caterpillar Internship

Four years ago, Richard Lekakh was a freshman at Northeastern Illinois University taking the necessary steps toward a career in education. "I was gearing up to become a schoolteacher," Lekakh says, "and I was looking forward to it. But then, by chance, I took an internship at Water Tower Financial Partners." The glimpse into the business world led him to change gears, and change schools, too.  Fast-forward to the present: Lekakh is going into his senior year at UIC Business, and just returned... read more

Getting to the Chicago Mercantile Exchange from UIC Business

by Saif Sarvana I’m an intern at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and a junior at UIC Business, though I’m just now finishing my second semester here. I transferred from the College of DuPage over the summer of 2015. Why did I transfer to UIC? The short answer is the value of the UIC Business program. What does that mean? Well, here’s the long answer. I was curious about markets and finance from an early age, and I’ve been investing for a long time. I bought my first stock when I was twelve. I... read more

A Scholar's Path To Tax Accounting

UIC Business Scholars met this morning at a restaurant near campus for their mid-semester check-in, an opportunity for the Scholars to reconnect with their mentoring families and take a break from studying for midterms. Collegiate Association of Business Scholars (CABS) members, upperclassmen and the Assistant Director of the Business Scholars Program were on hand to provide feedback, answer questions and catch up more generally over pizza. The UIC Business blog caught up with senior Scholar... read more

Why Surveys and Rankings Matter

It’s hard to imagine anymore how “searching for the right college” could mean searching in any way other than online. And as students sift through the many schools they could apply to, they inevitably glance at rankings. “The Best Business Schools List,” “America’s Best Business Schools,” “The Best MBAs of 2015” - rankings have proliferated to the point that we can no longer consult just one, if we’re going to consult any at all.  Colleges covet these rankings, despite their overabundance, and... read more

Do's & Don'ts: Freshman Year First Semester

Do's ​​​Do explore different majors, Chicago and who you are. Your next few years depend on the type of choices you make and who you become. It is time for you to explore and learn more about yourself. If you came with a major, is that really what you want to do? Do you know what type of work you will be doing once you graduate? Do you know which classes you need to take beyond the core classes? Below are a few questions you can ask yourself. You might not know all the answers, but by asking the... read more

Liautaud Students Meet with Larry Byrne of Ogilvy & Mather

On the evening of Thursday, October 1, the UIC Graduate Marketing Association (GMARK) hosted a conversation with Larry Byrne, Senior Partner and Chief Production Officer for Ogilvy & Mather. The event, put together by Jeffrey Wilson of UIC Business Career Services, was part of the MBA Career Topics series, which is designed to give Liautaud students a view from the C-suite by introducing them to executives from Chicagoland firms. Byrne is not only an exec at a Chicago firm, he’s also a lifelong... read more