UIC Liautaud Graduate School of Business

Touring with an Atlantic Records Artist as a Creative Director

by Johnny Fan During 2016, I worked as a creative director for Atlantic Records music artist Sir the Baptist. I served as his touring photographer and videographer and digital marketing and branding manager.  Sir the Baptist offered me this opportunity after I worked on a magazine press shoot with him.  After that connection, he was impressed by my work and found a way for us to continue collaborating. The major function of my work with Sir the Baptist consisted of building the brand of the... read more

Pitching a Client as a General Mills Intern

by Lianne Ramahi   This past summer, I had the opportunity to work at General Mills, Inc. as a business management associate intern. This role was heavily focused on data analysis for the domestic western region sales team in Scottsdale, Ariz. Throughout this experience, I was given projects similar to those that would be performed as a first-year associate. I took ownership of impactful projects that added tangible value to the company.   General Mills truly values nurturing its employees... read more

Insider Information on the First Day of Marketing 461

Ryan Patterson, Samantha Payne, Allan Rodriguez, Kathrynn Sharp, and Robert Grilli [Not pictured: Jaime Manriquez] In Consumer Behavior (Marketing 461), Professor Lan Nguyen Chaplin has high expectations of her students.  To communicate these expectations and the level of professionalism required to succeed, Professor Chaplin invited alumni of the course to speak in the opening session of her Fall 2017 classes.  “It is a tough class that places a high demand on professionalism in addition to... read more

Developing Banking Industry Expertise as a BMO Intern

by Jasur Rasulov This summer, I completed an internship as a treasury sales and services officer at the BMO Harris Bank’s Treasury and Payment Solutions group in Chicago. My group was responsible for delivering cash management services to commercial clients. In my role, I primarily supported sales teams across three markets-- mid-corporate, institutional, and engineering and construction--in the fulfillment of everyday banking products. On a daily basis, I prepared and executed lending... read more

Quick Prep Tips for the Fall 2017 Business Career Fair

The Business Career Fair takes place on September 18 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. in Student Center East Illinois Rooms.  When preparing to make the most of your time with employers, ask yourself these three key questions. 1.) How will I prioritize the employers that I want to talk to? Look at the list of employers that will be at the fair the week before. There will not be time to speak to everyone, so rather than wandering around the room looking for a short line or a company name that you... read more

From UIC Business to the Magic Kingdom

by Cynthia Mancilla   Beginning in June and continuing through the end of the year, I’ve been fortunate to be working for a mouse, Mickey Mouse, as a Consumer Insights Market Research intern at the Walt Disney Company offices in Orlando, Florida.   So far, I’ve had the great pleasure of researching consumers in the U.S. as well as international consumers in Mexico, Brazil, and Canada. Part of my role is assisting in qualitative and quantitative research projects across Disney parks and... read more

The CBA Student Services Team Welcomes Dominque Thomas-Green

We would like to introduce you to the newest member of the CBA Student Services staff, Dominque Thomas-Green. Dominque joined the Student Services team as an Academic Advisor this March. We have put together some fun facts about Dominque, so please read on. And make sure to say hello when you see her around. Favorite Chicago Activities/ Places: I absolutely love walking or driving along the lake on a beautiful day. Favorite Chicago Restaurants: Pearl’s Place, Wildberry, and any place that you... read more

CBA Welcomes Our Newest Advisor: Josiel Marrufo

We would like to introduce you to the newest member of the College of Business Administration's Advising Staff, Josiel Marrufo. Josiel joined the Student Services Advising Team this May, and will serve as an Academic Advisor for undergraduate CBA students. Please read below to learn more about Josiel! Favorite Chicago Activities/ Places: When it comes to exploring Chicago, I enjoy the variety of events that the change of seasons are able to provide like parades, fests, and winter traditions.... read more

A New Addition to Student Services: Shonta Durham-Wiersema

We would like to introduce you to a new member of the College of Business Administration's Advising Staff, Shonta Durham-Wiersema. Shonta joined the Student Services Advising Team this April, and will serve as Director of Student Advising. Please read below to get to know Shonta. Favorite Chicago Activities/ Places: I love Chicago’s lakefront; it is my second home during the three months of the year that it is warm! Jogging, biking, reading, grilling out with friends and family, the lakefront in... read more

A New Addition to Student Services: Melissa Thomas

We would like to introduce you to the newest member of the College of Business Administration's Advising Staff, Melissa Thomas. Melissa joined the Student Services Advising Team this March. Please read below to learn more about Melissa.   Favorite Chicago Activities/Places: During Chicago summer, I especially love to bike on the lakefront path. The lake brings so much calm and fun in the summer that it (almost) makes the cold winter worth it. I also love performance art and festivals … and so... read more

Join the InKind Consulting Program for 2017-2018

Calling all UIC Liautaud students! Are you looking to strengthen your resume and give back to the community at the same time? Are you interested in helping a local Chicago organizations streamline its finances, create a new marketing strategy, or even improve its network security? What is inKind? InKind Consulting is a student-led, pro-bono consulting program created by the MBA Association and Net Impact student organizations from the UIC Liautaud Graduate Business School.  The InKind program... read more

Professional Development Through Service

About 3 months ago, I had the idea of offering a professional development workshop to a small group of my most hardworking students. I thought that it would be a great opportunity to explore how service could teach valuable professional skills while also promoting empathy and the importance of giving back. I never had someone coach me on professionalism when I was an undergraduate, and I wanted to offer that opportunity to my students. Plus, I wanted to leverage UIC’s diversity and commitment to... read more

Juggling Coursework, Jobs, and New Ventures at UIC

Daniel Natsagdorj paid his way through UIC’s entrepreneurship program in part by working long weekend hours as a server at a River North sushi restaurant. When he enrolled at UIC, Daniel had nearly a decade of food service experience, so the server work was nothing new. But when he started the job, the sharing economy was relatively new; Uber had recently arrived in Chicago. It got Daniel thinking about how restaurants managed their delivery drivers. “In all my years of working at restaurants,... read more

The Stewards of Business Student Organizations

Since 1973, the CSSLA ceremony has recognized outstanding student leaders and student volunteers who, while maintaining high academic achievement, demonstrate a commitment to the UIC community through participation in student organizations and campus activities and throughout the greater Chicagoland area through active service and community engagement. One of this year’s award recipients was Michael J. Mlekowski, an MBA candidate at UIC Liautaud. Below, Michael tells us about his work for the... read more

Building on Healthcare Experience in a Liautaud MBA

Yih-Ting Chen, MBA ’17, came to UIC Liautaud from Taipei, Taiwan, where he’d worked as a hospital pharmacist, a job that gave him privileged insight into hospital management, single-payer healthcare, and Taiwan’s pharmaceutical market. As a pharmacist, Chen was putting his bachelor’s degree to work precisely in his area of expertise. But the more he learned about healthcare, the more interested he became in business and management. “I knew that Taiwanese healthcare faced challenges,” Chen says,... read more

The Rewards of Student Leadership

One highlight of the academic year is the annual Chancellor’s Student Service and Leadership Awards (CSSLA) ceremony. Since 1973, the CSSLA ceremony has recognized outstanding student leaders and student volunteers who, while maintaining high academic achievement, demonstrate a commitment to the UIC community through participation in student organizations and campus activities and throughout the greater Chicagoland area through active service and community engagement. One of this year’s award... read more

Undergraduate Innovation in the Tennis Market

Ann-Sophie Hahn, BS ’17, has spent the last few years studying business at UIC while training and competing as a UIC athlete. A double major in finance and marketing, Hahn studied finance abroad at the London School of Economics, and interned as an assistant auditor in Stuttgart. When her faculty mentor, Professor Jelena Spanjol, introduced her to the Interdisciplinary Product Development program, Hahn saw it as a way to develop practical marketing experience to balance out her experience in... read more

Spring Break Destination: Chicago

Students spending spring break in Chicago have a great opportunity to explore the city we live in (but are always too busy for). Here are a few things to check out around town: Hit up Hyde Park Most people come and go from the Museum of Science and Industry without ever exploring the neighborhood around it. Over spring break, the Hyde Park Art Center will have exhibitions of work by Jessie Mott, Rhonda Wheatley, and collaborative work on the theme of public education. The Renaissance Society has... read more

UIC Business Welcomes Alanna O'Connor, Assistant Dean for Student Recruitment

UIC Business wants incoming students to build their careers on solid ground, which is why special attention is devoted to prospective students, so that even before matriculation, they have strong connections with faculty, current students, and the university’s array of career resources. “There is a network of support at UIC and in the business college made up of people who care and are invested in your success,” says Alanna O’Connor. O’Connor is the new Assistant Dean for Student Recruitment at... read more

Spring 2017 Executives in the Classroom

Each semester, undergraduate students at UIC Business have a variety of opportunities to connect with executives from local, national, and international firms. One of the most popular opportunities by sheer attendance numbers is Professor Michael Miller’s Executives in the Classroom series, which kicks off for the spring semester on Thursday, March 2, with a visit from Terry A. Duffy of CME Group. Duffy will meet with a small group of management students in the morning, followed by an 11... read more