Student Profiles

Juggling Coursework, Jobs, and New Ventures at UIC

Daniel Natsagdorj paid his way through UIC’s entrepreneurship program in part by working long weekend hours as a server at a River North sushi restaurant. When he enrolled at UIC, Daniel had nearly a decade of food service experience, so the server work was nothing new. But when he started the job, the sharing economy was relatively new; Uber had recently arrived in Chicago. It got Daniel thinking about how restaurants managed their delivery drivers. “In all my years of working at restaurants,... read more

The Stewards of Business Student Organizations

Since 1973, the CSSLA ceremony has recognized outstanding student leaders and student volunteers who, while maintaining high academic achievement, demonstrate a commitment to the UIC community through participation in student organizations and campus activities and throughout the greater Chicagoland area through active service and community engagement. One of this year’s award recipients was Michael J. Mlekowski, an MBA candidate at UIC Liautaud. Below, Michael tells us about his work for the... read more

Building on Healthcare Experience in a Liautaud MBA

Yih-Ting Chen, MBA ’17, came to UIC Liautaud from Taipei, Taiwan, where he’d worked as a hospital pharmacist, a job that gave him privileged insight into hospital management, single-payer healthcare, and Taiwan’s pharmaceutical market. As a pharmacist, Chen was putting his bachelor’s degree to work precisely in his area of expertise. But the more he learned about healthcare, the more interested he became in business and management. “I knew that Taiwanese healthcare faced challenges,” Chen says,... read more

The Rewards of Student Leadership

One highlight of the academic year is the annual Chancellor’s Student Service and Leadership Awards (CSSLA) ceremony. Since 1973, the CSSLA ceremony has recognized outstanding student leaders and student volunteers who, while maintaining high academic achievement, demonstrate a commitment to the UIC community through participation in student organizations and campus activities and throughout the greater Chicagoland area through active service and community engagement. One of this year’s award... read more

Undergraduate Innovation in the Tennis Market

Ann-Sophie Hahn, BS ’17, has spent the last few years studying business at UIC while training and competing as a UIC athlete. A double major in finance and marketing, Hahn studied finance abroad at the London School of Economics, and interned as an assistant auditor in Stuttgart. When her faculty mentor, Professor Jelena Spanjol, introduced her to the Interdisciplinary Product Development program, Hahn saw it as a way to develop practical marketing experience to balance out her experience in... read more

UIC Business Scholar Moves from Shiftgig to BMO Harris

UIC Business Scholar Alex Alderman, a finance major in his junior year, hasn’t wasted any time diversifying his resume. In the summer of 2015, Alderman began interning at Shiftgig. This summer, he moves on to an internship at BMO Harris. It all started by connecting with other Business Scholars. “Had I not been networking among the Business Scholars, I wouldn’t have gotten the Shiftgig job,” he says. “I was lucky to meet another Scholar who already had their foot in that door.” Shiftgig, a... read more

A Business Scholar Abroad

A few months ago, Business Scholar Liz Milaicki capped off her sophomore year with a summer semester abroad, studying in both Dublin and London and setting off at every opportunity to explore the European continent. Her overseas coursework earned her credit toward her minor in entrepreneurship, and her travels broadened her worldview and bolstered her personal independence.  Her studies abroad began in Dublin, where she ended up rooming with other Americans. "It worked out well," says... read more

Amish Brahmbhatt: from Sears Holdings Corporation to UIC Liautaud

We regularly invite our MBA Ambassadors to share their views on student life at UIC Liautaud. Amish Brahmbhatt is a full-time Liautaud MBA student and President of the MBA Association. Below, Amish shares his reflections on the first year of his Liautaud experience.   As an analyst in the Consumer Electronics department of Sears Holdings, I was responsible for compiling data to support testing and solve business problems. Over time, I started thinking more and more about not just how we... read more

Summer in Boca Raton: Karthik Sundar's work at ADT headquarters

Karthik Sundar is a full-time MIS candidate graduating from UIC Liautaud this year. Sundar earned his B.Tech in Communications Engineering from SASTRA University in India, and has been working in the security industry with the goal of moving into marketing and CRM analytics. He recently interned for ADT, a leading provider of security and automation solutions for homes and businesses in the United States and Canada. Sundar sat down with our student writers at the beginning of the Fall 2016... read more

Student Ambassador Spotlight: Christian Guerrero

We recently caught up with Christian Guerrero, a full-time MBA student at UIC Liautaud and a student ambassador within UIC Business. Christian told us a little about why he came to Liautaud and what advice he has for prospective MBA students. What prompted you to return to school for an MBA? I studied management in undergrad, and throughout all of college I worked for a circuit board manufacturer. When I graduated, it just so happened that the opportunities with my employer beat out everything... read more

Keeping Data on the Rails: Miranda Powell's Work at TTX

On any given weekday, a handful of analysts are working in an office above North Wacker Drive, collecting current data on over 200,000 railcars scattered across North America, the fleet of the TTX Company. Freight is constantly in motion, and this means data is constantly pouring in. Miranda Powell, a senior at UIC Business, is one of the analysts who makes sense of it all. “A railcar goes over alerts on the tracks, and we get data from each axle or 'truck' on each car,” says Powell. “Alerts... read more

Getting to the Chicago Mercantile Exchange from UIC Business

by Saif Sarvana I’m an intern at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and a junior at UIC Business, though I’m just now finishing my second semester here. I transferred from the College of DuPage over the summer of 2015. Why did I transfer to UIC? The short answer is the value of the UIC Business program. What does that mean? Well, here’s the long answer. I was curious about markets and finance from an early age, and I’ve been investing for a long time. I bought my first stock when I was twelve. I... read more

An HR Analyst Reflects on Choosing UIC Business

by Raven M. Temple This May, I’ll graduate from UIC Business with a degree in management and finance and begin working full-time for XR Trading as a human resources analyst. The path leading up to my business degree has been long; I started pursuing a curiosity about stocks and bonds as early as elementary school. By high school, I was sure I’d study business in college. Why did I choose UIC Business?   Consider the value of a UIC Business degree. For a top-ranked undergraduate business program... read more

Business Scholars Spotlight: Michael Martinez, Class of 2019

1. Tell me a little about yourself. Hello! My name is Michael Martinez, and I'm a UIC Business Scholar. I'm pursuing a dual-degree at UIC: a BS in finance from UIC Business and a BS in biological sciences. As a dual degree student, I'm very passionate about my studies, and I'm always trying to expand the scope of my education. I'm a member of three UIC programs: the President's Award Program, the UIC Business Scholars, and the Guaranteed Professional Program Admissions for medicine (GPPA for... read more

Business Scholar Spotlight: William Perkins, Class of 2019

1. Tell us a little bit about yourself. My name is William (Bill) Perkins and I'm from Park Forest, Illinois. I graduated from Marian Catholic High School this last Spring. In high school, I played trombone, baritone and electric bass in the bands. I also launched a concert series my sophomore year that raised money for charities and important causes. In my free time, I ran my own booking agency, putting together concerts at local DIY venues. I was also very active in Boy Scouts, where I... read more

BSA Candidate Shirley Paredes Awarded Illinois CPA Society Scholarship

As classes get underway for the 2015-16 school year, UIC Business students get to work both on their studies and on a variety of involvements at UIC and in the Chicago business community. Last Thursday, we caught up with Shirley Paredes, an undergraduate student in the accounting department. Shirley was recently awarded the ICPAS Accounting Scholarship, which is funded by donations made to the CPA Endowment Fund of Illinois, the society’s charitable partner. The CPA Endowment Fund of Illinois... read more

Student Spotlight: Sade Stokes, MBA Candidate 2016

UIC Liautaud Student Profile   Name: Sade L. Stokes Email Address: sstoke3@uic.edu              Program: Master of Business Administration Concentration(s): Marketing Full-time/Part-time Student:  Part-time Industry/Field of work: Human Resources / Public Affairs Class of: 2016 Undergraduate degree in:  Finance         Undergraduate School:  University of Illinois at Chicago Organizations involved with: Graduate Marketing Association What prompted you to return to school to achieve your... read more

Student Spotlight: Shilpa Mohanty, MBA Candidate 2016

SHILPA MOHANTY Email Address: smohan22@uic.edu / shilpamohanty5@gmail.com Program:  MBA Concentration(s):  Marketing and MIS Full-time/Part-time Student: Full Time Industry/Field of work: Marketing and Advertising Class of: 2016 Undergraduate degree in: IT & Computer Science Undergraduate School: Silicon Institute of Technology, India Career Goal: My career goal is to leverage my interdisciplinary experience in MBA curriculum, non-profit marketing management, business analysis, IT processes, and... read more

Student Spotlight: Matthew Medinger, MBA Candidate 2015

Matthew Medinger Part-time MBA Candidate 2015 Concentration(s): Finance Field of Work: Finance Undergraduate Degree: Finance Undergraduate School: Governor’s State University Career Goal: Corporate lending/negotiations or starting my own real estate investment company Organizations Involved With: MBAA   Interests/Hobbies: Real Estate Investing, Running, Mountain Biking, Building Race Cars, Racing Cars and Motorcycles, and Playing Guitar Favorite Chicago Activities: Boating on the Chicago... read more

Student Spotlight: Deepthi Jayachandran, MS-MIS Candidate 2015

Deepthi Jayachandran Full-time MS-MIS 2015 Field of Work: Data analytics Undergraduate Degree: MS in Software Engineering. (5 year integrated program) Undergraduate School: PSG College of Technology, Tamil Nadu India Career Goal: Want to work as a Business Analyst in one of the big 4 companies Organizations Involved With: INFORMS (Treasurer)                                       Internships: eBay, Chennai India.  Mu Sigma Business Solutions, Bangalore India Favorite Chicago Activities/ Places: I... read more