Student Life

Join the InKind Consulting Program for 2017-2018

Calling all UIC Liautaud students! Are you looking to strengthen your resume and give back to the community at the same time? Are you interested in helping a local Chicago organizations streamline its finances, create a new marketing strategy, or even improve its network security? What is inKind? InKind Consulting is a student-led, pro-bono consulting program created by the MBA Association and Net Impact student organizations from the UIC Liautaud Graduate Business School.  The InKind program... read more

Professional Development Through Service

About 3 months ago, I had the idea of offering a professional development workshop to a small group of my most hardworking students. I thought that it would be a great opportunity to explore how service could teach valuable professional skills while also promoting empathy and the importance of giving back. I never had someone coach me on professionalism when I was an undergraduate, and I wanted to offer that opportunity to my students. Plus, I wanted to leverage UIC’s diversity and commitment to... read more

Juggling Coursework, Jobs, and New Ventures at UIC

Daniel Natsagdorj paid his way through UIC’s entrepreneurship program in part by working long weekend hours as a server at a River North sushi restaurant. When he enrolled at UIC, Daniel had nearly a decade of food service experience, so the server work was nothing new. But when he started the job, the sharing economy was relatively new; Uber had recently arrived in Chicago. It got Daniel thinking about how restaurants managed their delivery drivers. “In all my years of working at restaurants,... read more

The Rewards of Student Leadership

One highlight of the academic year is the annual Chancellor’s Student Service and Leadership Awards (CSSLA) ceremony. Since 1973, the CSSLA ceremony has recognized outstanding student leaders and student volunteers who, while maintaining high academic achievement, demonstrate a commitment to the UIC community through participation in student organizations and campus activities and throughout the greater Chicagoland area through active service and community engagement. One of this year’s award... read more

Spring Break Destination: Chicago

Students spending spring break in Chicago have a great opportunity to explore the city we live in (but are always too busy for). Here are a few things to check out around town: Hit up Hyde Park Most people come and go from the Museum of Science and Industry without ever exploring the neighborhood around it. Over spring break, the Hyde Park Art Center will have exhibitions of work by Jessie Mott, Rhonda Wheatley, and collaborative work on the theme of public education. The Renaissance Society has... read more

How a UIC Transfer Student Joined a Top Consulting Firm

Samu Thomas, BS ’16, has one piece of advice for UIC Business students: find your area of interest and focus. Thomas works as an IT consultant for Maven Wave Partners, where consultants like himself help clients like Nike, US Foods, Bosch, and other familiar names stay up to speed in the digital marketplace. Thomas found this work–and the IDS degree that led to it–after a little soul-searching of his own. “Early on in college, I was doing electronic and communications engineering,” Thomas says.... read more

UIC's Best Hidden Study Spots

Maybe this sounds familiar: finals are just around the corner, so you're on a tight schedule, and you need a good place to study, but in every cafe and reading room on campus you see bodies in chairs without a free seat in sight. You scour campus for a decent space, and by the time you find one, you're down a significant fraction of your study time.  My search for the perfect study spot was a semester project all its own. And I don't consider myself picky; I don't need to be totally alone, and I... read more

Building Teamwork by Trial

Market researchers seldom work alone. Thus, students in Professor Chaplin’s consumer behavior courses develop and present their research in teams. How does Chaplin build her research teams? Scavenger hunts and relay races.  Students see her approach as win-win. “You get closer to your colleagues, and it’s fun,” said Joseph Ravara of Team Orange 1, winners of the first round of relays. “I admire how Professor Chaplin incorporates something like this into her teaching methods.”    Chaplin is known... read more

Catherine Yi, BS '11, on Her Path to Amazon, Inc.

When she was working for Leo Burnett in Chicago, Catherine Yi regularly met with UIC Business students on campus. “I met with students through Alumni 4U, and every meeting was different, depending on what each student wanted to learn,” says Yi. “But there was one piece of advice I had for everyone: start interning as soon as possible.” Yi’s path to her current role at Amazon included a series of internships during her time at UIC Business. Though some internships were more relevant than others... read more

Summer in Boca Raton: Karthik Sundar's work at ADT headquarters

Karthik Sundar is a full-time MIS candidate graduating from UIC Liautaud this year. Sundar earned his B.Tech in Communications Engineering from SASTRA University in India, and has been working in the security industry with the goal of moving into marketing and CRM analytics. He recently interned for ADT, a leading provider of security and automation solutions for homes and businesses in the United States and Canada. Sundar sat down with our student writers at the beginning of the Fall 2016... read more

Starting Class with Student Success

Professor Lan Chaplin has a knack for fostering strong connections with her consumer behavior students. Not only does she keep in touch with former students, she brings some of them back to her classroom, recruiting them to offer new students pointers for how to succeed in the class. On Tuesday, August 23rd, two teams of former students joined Professor Chaplin’s consumer behavior sections to offer students roadmaps to success. “My consumer behavior course isn’t for everyone,” Chaplin says.... read more

Chicago's Top Summer Offerings

With July 4th behind us, summer break can feel a little like a short downhill slide toward the beginning of the fall semester (just six weeks away). If you haven’t yet, it’s time to get serious about your summer. Whether this is your first summer in Chicago, your fourth, or your umpteenth, you’ll find more to do outside than can be crammed into your remaining free time: festivals, concerts, beaches, baseball games, day trips—from the city’s front yard on the lake to its back yard in the woods... read more

Keeping Data on the Rails: Miranda Powell's Work at TTX

On any given weekday, a handful of analysts are working in an office above North Wacker Drive, collecting current data on over 200,000 railcars scattered across North America, the fleet of the TTX Company. Freight is constantly in motion, and this means data is constantly pouring in. Miranda Powell, a senior at UIC Business, is one of the analysts who makes sense of it all. “A railcar goes over alerts on the tracks, and we get data from each axle or 'truck' on each car,” says Powell. “Alerts... read more

Getting to the Chicago Mercantile Exchange from UIC Business

by Saif Sarvana I’m an intern at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and a junior at UIC Business, though I’m just now finishing my second semester here. I transferred from the College of DuPage over the summer of 2015. Why did I transfer to UIC? The short answer is the value of the UIC Business program. What does that mean? Well, here’s the long answer. I was curious about markets and finance from an early age, and I’ve been investing for a long time. I bought my first stock when I was twelve. I... read more

Firsthand Lessons in Leadership: ENACTUS at UIC Business

A lot of UIC Business students don’t know about the chapter of ENACTUS on campus. “Recruiting has been a challenge,” says Patricia Soto, the chapter’s current President. “People ask me, ‘what do you guys do?’ I tell them we create projects to empower community members, and they ask, ‘what does that mean?’ In the end, I just have to show them our work.” Soto founded the UIC chapter of ENACTUS about a year ago, during her sophomore year. “Founded, or reopened; I learned from Professor Anthony... read more

An HR Analyst Reflects on Choosing UIC Business

by Raven M. Temple This May, I’ll graduate from UIC Business with a degree in management and finance and begin working full-time for XR Trading as a human resources analyst. The path leading up to my business degree has been long; I started pursuing a curiosity about stocks and bonds as early as elementary school. By high school, I was sure I’d study business in college. Why did I choose UIC Business?   Consider the value of a UIC Business degree. For a top-ranked undergraduate business program... read more

Spring Break Destination: Chicago

Spring Break comes to the rescue right when students couldn’t possibly bear another minute of work. Some of us will be leaving town next week for warmer weather, and some of us, loathe to lift a finger during much needed rest, will hardly leave our pajamas. UIC Business students spending Spring Break in Chicago have a great opportunity to explore the city we live in (but are always too busy for). Here are a few things to do around town: “Earth laughs in flowers.” For those of you craving spring... read more

Bowling Together with the Business Scholars

Last Wednesday, the UIC Business Scholars got together with our faculty mentors to discuss something other than business for change - anything but, really - as we bowled together at The Alley in UIC’s Student Center East. UIC Business students are matched with faculty mentors when they enter the Business Scholars program. Our faculty mentors advise our courses of study and help us network in our chosen industries.   Business Scholar Elizabeth Milaicki has two faculty mentors this... read more

Rescuing New Year's resolutions

We are well into February, and many of us have already defaulted on at least one of our New Year's resolutions. Who could blame us? It’s cold outside, the holiday mood has worn off, school is back in full swing, all making it a little easier to excuse ourselves from the gym, or to excuse that slice of chocolate cake. It wasn’t until my early twenties that I started thinking of New Year’s resolutions as anything more than fictions we told themselves about the coming year. At some point after... read more

Introducing INFORMS

Institute for Operations Research and Management Sciences (INFORMS) Who we are You know those people who use free pizza to lure audiences to their boring PowerPoint presentations? Or people who waste hours at a conference table batting around buzzwords? We are NOT them. We are the young consultants, coders and zealous geeks of UIC Liautaud united against the boring misuse of pizza and of time. What we do We organize events to help MIS students, MSBA students and anyone from the information... read more