MBA

Join the InKind Consulting Program for 2017-2018

Calling all UIC Liautaud students! Are you looking to strengthen your resume and give back to the community at the same time? Are you interested in helping a local Chicago organizations streamline its finances, create a new marketing strategy, or even improve its network security? What is inKind? InKind Consulting is a student-led, pro-bono consulting program created by the MBA Association and Net Impact student organizations from the UIC Liautaud Graduate Business School.  The InKind program... read more

The Stewards of Business Student Organizations

Since 1973, the CSSLA ceremony has recognized outstanding student leaders and student volunteers who, while maintaining high academic achievement, demonstrate a commitment to the UIC community through participation in student organizations and campus activities and throughout the greater Chicagoland area through active service and community engagement. One of this year’s award recipients was Michael J. Mlekowski, an MBA candidate at UIC Liautaud. Below, Michael tells us about his work for the... read more

Building on Healthcare Experience in a Liautaud MBA

Yih-Ting Chen, MBA ’17, came to UIC Liautaud from Taipei, Taiwan, where he’d worked as a hospital pharmacist, a job that gave him privileged insight into hospital management, single-payer healthcare, and Taiwan’s pharmaceutical market. As a pharmacist, Chen was putting his bachelor’s degree to work precisely in his area of expertise. But the more he learned about healthcare, the more interested he became in business and management. “I knew that Taiwanese healthcare faced challenges,” Chen says,... read more

The Rewards of Student Leadership

One highlight of the academic year is the annual Chancellor’s Student Service and Leadership Awards (CSSLA) ceremony. Since 1973, the CSSLA ceremony has recognized outstanding student leaders and student volunteers who, while maintaining high academic achievement, demonstrate a commitment to the UIC community through participation in student organizations and campus activities and throughout the greater Chicagoland area through active service and community engagement. One of this year’s award... read more

The Pursuit of Social Good at UIC Liautaud

Jill Kozeluh, MBA '12, has been busy with UIC lately. She recently participated in a housing and economic development panel hosted by UIC’s Net Impact chapter, where she introduced UIC Business students to the work of Accion Chicago. She also paid a visit to Professor Renko’s social entrepreneurship class to talk about microfinance for Chicago’s underserved entrepreneurs. On top of all this, she’s looking forward to a new connection between her work at Accion Chicago and a fresh partnership... read more

Interdisciplinary Product Development at UIC’s Innovation Center

On a Tuesday afternoon behind an inconspicuous façade on West Harrison Street, offices, labs, design studios, and meetings spaces all buzz with activity; medical students are rehearsing elevator pitches; engineers are discussing market research; design students are learning about construction technology; and Liautaud MBA students are overseeing a range of projects for outside firms who have come to UIC seeking solutions. This is UIC’s Innovation Center, where Professor Jelena Spanjol and her... read more

Liautaud Internships at BMO Harris

Amy Guo is a full-time MBA candidate graduating from UIC Liautaud next spring. Guo brings her combined backgrounds in business analytics and digital advertising to her marketing concentration at Liautaud. In this post, she shares her internship experience at BMO Harris from this past summer. In February of 2016, Jeff Wilson at the Business Career Center emailed us about internship opportunities at BMO Harris, so I took the first step toward applying, emailing the hiring manager at BMO Harris to... read more

Amish Brahmbhatt: from Sears Holdings Corporation to UIC Liautaud

We regularly invite our MBA Ambassadors to share their views on student life at UIC Liautaud. Amish Brahmbhatt is a full-time Liautaud MBA student and President of the MBA Association. Below, Amish shares his reflections on the first year of his Liautaud experience.   As an analyst in the Consumer Electronics department of Sears Holdings, I was responsible for compiling data to support testing and solve business problems. Over time, I started thinking more and more about not just how we... read more

Find Your Liautaud Student Organization

The first week of term was a whirlwind. You worked or interned over the summer, and jumped from the frying pan into the fire. But by now you've adjusted (we hope) and put your priorities in order. If you're new to Liautaud and haven't yet joined a graduate student organization, now's the time to choose. UIC Liautaud encourages all students to become a part of the campus community by joining at least one of the many graduate student organizations at UIC Business. We've already done a lot of... read more

Join the Liautaud Consulting Groups at inKind

We’ve already blogged a bit about how student organizations at UIC Business can help you win scholarships and land jobs. These organizations also offer business students opportunities to apply classroom lessons and fill out their resumés with valuable work-related experience, and when it comes to consulting work, students need look no further than inKind at UIC Business. Liautaud students interested in consulting should read on for details about how to get involved in the 2016-17 year inKind... read more

Fall 2016 Special Topics Courses: Applied Equity Investment and Corporate Social Responsibility

Students still putting together their Fall 2016 schedule should consider some of the college’s special topics courses, which provide intensive study of business topics not regularly covered in the course offerings. In this post, we feature Professor Wightkin’s Applied Equity Investment Management course and Professor Lloyd's Strategic Corporate Social Responsibility course. FIN 594 Applied Equity Investment Management When John Wightkin looks back on his first interviews out of his MBA, he... read more

Special Topics courses in Fall 2016: Global Sourcing & Logistics and Islamic Banking and Finance

If you haven't set your fall schedule, consider some of the college’s special topics courses, which provide intensive study of business topics not regularly covered in the course offerings. In this post, we feature Professor Arslan-Ayaydin’s Islamic Banking and Finance course and Professor Liotine’s Global Sourcing & Logistics course. FIN 494: Islamic Banking and Finance A few years ago, Professor Arslan-Ayaydin started looking into the steady double-digit annual growth of the Islamic finance... read more

New Offerings for Fall 2016: MBA 590 Foundations in Entrepreneurship

The Illinois Small Business Development Center at the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce plays a key role in the resources that the Chamber of Commerce offers business and entrepreneurs, resources that include business planning, market research, assistance dealing with local governments, and much more. This fall, Liautaud students have the opportunity to explore these resources in MBA 590 - Foundations in Entrepreneurship, an 8-week course led by Florence Hardy, Director of the Illinois SBDC at the... read more

Student Ambassador Spotlight: Christian Guerrero

We recently caught up with Christian Guerrero, a full-time MBA student at UIC Liautaud and a student ambassador within UIC Business. Christian told us a little about why he came to Liautaud and what advice he has for prospective MBA students. What prompted you to return to school for an MBA? I studied management in undergrad, and throughout all of college I worked for a circuit board manufacturer. When I graduated, it just so happened that the opportunities with my employer beat out everything... read more

Marisa Randle and the Art of the Career

Career paths are seldom picture perfect, and there’s no single route to a given job. A career is a composition, a variety of experiences and steps taken in pursuit of success. But one thing you’ll find behind most stories of success is a combination of hard work, opportunity and the good sense to jump at opportunity when it arises. On the evening of February 18, Marisa Randle, MBA ’11, spoke to the Graduate Marketing Association (GMARK) at UIC Liautaud about the pathways from the MBA to our... read more

Life is what happens while you're busy getting an MBA

Sean Kemper, MBA ’17 here, writing from the border of Buena Park and Wrigleyville on Chicago's north side. It’s early in the Spring ’16 semester, the work has yet to pile up, and while I don’t actually have a lot of free time, winter break was recent enough that I still feel like I have some free time, which I’ve used to snap a few pics and share a picture of my life at Liautaud. My days start early; Coconut and Mung-Mung, my Yorkshire terriers, want breakfast and a walk, and I’ve learned that... read more

Braving New Fields in the MBA

I used to tell myself that once I got into business school I would focus on marketing and marketing only. In meetings with my career advisor, I was confident that after immersing myself in marketing studies, I’d transition easily into a marketing career. He would push back - a narrow focus on marketing might be inadequate, he'd say, to a job market driven by demand for data skills. Fortunately for me, Liautaud’s IDS courses were an option. I waded into IDS last semester with an Introduction to... read more

GMARK Gets Inside the Mind of a Recruiter

In a perfect world, job applicants like myself would exercise powers of telepathy to grasp what employers are looking for. Just imagine - as soon as I see an opening posted online, I Google a little to figure out who the hiring manager is, and then mind-read across the short distance from UIC to the loop, tailoring my application to their very thoughts. When I show up for the interview, it’s as if I’ve walked out of their dreams.  Alas, all I can hope is that employers will tell me what they’re... read more

A Week in the Life of Naina Suri

Hello! I'm Naina Suri, MBA '17 with a concentration in marketing and business analytics. I moved to Chicago from Mumbai to attend UIC Business. So, what's a week like in the life of a Liautaud student? MONDAY My days start around nine. I get up, get ready, and, because what they say is true - Chicago weather is unpredictable! - I check the forecast. I’ve learned to never leave home without a sweater and umbrella. Now that it’s November, add a winter coat to that. Tip for new arrivals - there’s... read more

The Music of an MBA

Starting a brand new life as a graduate student in a foreign country isn't always easy. Schoolwork alone is a source of stress. Add to that the challenges of settling into an unfamiliar big city and navigating a culture not your own, and you get a glimpse of the problem of 'blending in'. Yih-Ting Chen is one a few new Liautuad MBA students who have come to Chicago from other countries. How has he dealt with blending in? "MBA student life requires you to plan your downtime carefully. Why would I... read more