Are you looking to study business at UIC, but still haven’t decided on a major? Fear Not! UIC’s College of Business Administration has six exceptional majors you can choose from. These majors include Accounting, Finance, Entrepreneurship, Management, Marketing, and Information and Decision Sciences.
Many students who apply to the College of Business Administration either have a clear vision on what career path they would like to pursue, or they are not entirely sure. If you fall into the category of not knowing what you would like to do, there is nothing wrong with exploring your options. To make this process a little less overwhelming, I have created a small list of questions you can ask yourself when trying to select a major:
1) What kind of job would I like?
2) What are my long term goals?
3) What can I accomplish with my major?
4) What are my favorite subjects?
5) What are my talents?
6) Am I an introvert or an extrovert?
7) Have I spoken to someone with this major?
8) What are the requirements for this major?
9) How long will I have to stay in school for my major?
10) Are there good job opportunities in the field I am interested in?
11) How will my degree help me in the future?
After asking yourself these questions, it is a good idea to do some research of the major that you like, so you know exactly what you are in for. After completing your research, go a step further and try talking to professionals in your desired field. Often times, some professionals allow students to job shadow which will expose you to the practical side of a particular career.
Asking questions can also be very helpful, so don’t be afraid to ask people for tips and advice—remember there is no such thing as a silly question!