Thursday, November 17, 2011 by
Dave EbelMBA Candidate 2012
- Concentrations: Entrepreneurship, Finance
- Industry/ Field of work: Consulting
- Undergraduate degree in: Marketing
- Undergraduate School: University of Wisconsin at La Crosse
- Career Goal: help companies grow via strategic planning and consulting in risk management, M&A, and through developing a greater understanding of capital market
- Organizations involved with: MBAA, Net Impact, Student Ambassadors, and Toastmasters
- Linkedin Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dave-ebel/4/b14/ba1
Q & A with Dave...
- What prompted you to return to school to achieve your MBA?
I’ve always had the desire to obtain my MBA, and after working in the professional field for a few years, I felt I would have much more of a societal impact with a Master’s degree. By gaining that competitive advantage, I’ll not only be able to help myself achieve personal goals, but also help those around me achieve theirs.
- What was the most important factor for you in choosing an MBA program (or factors you considered)?
Past experiences. When looking back on my past careers, I often recall that the most fulfilling and opportunistic times were not the ones with high monetary value, but those that were intrinsically fulfilling. That being said, the most gratifying aspects I found were those times helping and learning small European start-up businesses compete in the marketplace.
- Why did you choose UIC Liautaud for your MBA?
Besides the many offerings UIC Liautaud has for those seeking a Master's Degree, the one facet that caught my attention was the ability to obtain multiple concentrations. I've always had a passion for international business and finance, and juxtaposing that with the strength of the Entrepreneurship concentration, it was an easy decision.
- We all know that people pursue the MBA to increase their business knowledge, but since you have started the program, what has been the most unexpected gain the MBA has given you?
The diversity and viewpoints of my fellow classmates. Being a part of the MBA program brings together people from all parts of the world. Knowing that your peers have different backgrounds and experiences brings even more enlightenment to your educational experience.
- Which class/professor has been your favorite thus far and why?
I’ve really enjoyed my finance courses. Both FIN500 Intro to Finance and FIN510 Investments have really help me gain a greater appreciation for Finance. Professors Randy Adams (Intro) and Ozgur Arslan-Ayaydin (Investments) are having knowledgeable and expect only the best from their students.
- What is your favorite aspect of the UIC campus and why?
A close tie the students feel with each other. We’re all very hard-working and no one holds themselves in a complacent way.
- How would you define the Liautaud student?
Motivated, concentrated, and determined.
- What advice would you provide to incoming UIC Liautaud MBA students?
Don't let this opportunity pass you by. Take full advantage of all the resources available to you throughout campus and the community. And network as much as you can... those classmates sitting next to you could one day be invaluable business partners!
To meet with a Student Ambassador or schedule a class visit, click here to send your request to our Admissions team.