Wednesday, November 30, 2011 by
| | Rodrigo Garcia MBA 2009
- Concentration: Finance
- Pre-Degree Industry/Field of Work: Finance/Banking
- Post-Degree Industry/Field of Work: Finance/Banking
- Undergraduate Degree: B.S. in Finance
- Undergraduate Institution: Northeastern Illinois University
- Current Employer: Illinois Department of Veteran's Affairs
- Linkedin Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/rodrigogarciachicago
Q & A with Rodrigo...
- Why did you return to school to obtain your Graduate Business Degree:
I chose to pursue an MBA at this time to assist in the progress of my career goals and personal endeavors. While investments and international travels inspired my commitment to the field of finance, my efforts to be establish my own investment advisory and consulting firm will require an MBA education, through which I will gain the necessary managerial, strategic, and quantitative skills to succeed.
- What was the most important factor for you when choosing a Graduate Business Program:
I chose to pursue a degree in finance and international business since they are both fields of study I enjoy. The international financial markets are not only my passion, but my addiction. I eagerly evaluate capital markets, investment strategies, monetary policy, budgeting, credit risk, assets, liabilities, and future cash flows.
- Why did you choose UIC Liautaud:
I decided to go the Liautaud Graduate School of Business at UIC because it offered me access to a vast amount of resources and opportunities such as hands-on experiential learning, a diverse student population, networking events, the professional topic series, and tuition-free financial aid via a state grant. The LGSB will provide me with the necessary skills and knowledge needed to compete in a global financial market. Furthermore, the University of Illinois – Chicago is an AASCB accredited business school, one of only six in the Chicago-land area.
- Which course or professor was your favorite and why:
My favorite class was Corporate Strategy (MBA 500) with Professor Mark Shanley. During my short 8 weeks there, I learned there is more to strategy than just numbers. I was able to analyze a firm’s dilemmas from varying perspectives and construe different conclusions. It was a class that kept me wanting more.
- What was your favorite aspect of the UIC Liautaud program:
A World-Class Education for an Affordable Price!
- How would you define the Liautaud student:
Individuals with years of work and life experience and a diverse set of skills. They are the industry leaders of tomorrow…
- Now that you've graduated, what advice do you have for current and/or prospective Liautaud Students:
Anything worth fighting for never came easy!
To learn more about the Liautaud Graduate School of Business, meet with a Student Ambassador or schedule a class visit, click here to send your request to our Admissions team.