Student Posts

Reflections on the UIC-SEA Social Enterprise Certification Program

UIC Extended Campus provides learners of all ages with innovative and transformative courses and programs to further their growth as individuals. These programs enhance their growth as individuals and assists them in more fully participating in and contributing to society. Mirlene Dossous recently completed the UIC-SEA Social Enterprise Certificate via UIC Extended Campus and shared her experience and key takeaways with the UIC Business team.  I’m currently a school district manager, supporting... read more

Coming Fall 2019 | MBA 590 Course Offerings

“Designed to help you introspect and enumerate your career goals over an 8-week period” The MBA 590 courses are a must for every student planning a MBA. Effective professionals in all fields demonstrate expertise beyond their academic training. They develop this expertise through experience, exposure to new situations, and awareness of the demands of the environment. These courses are designed to prepare students to successfully navigate and transition into new professional opportunities. The... read more

AMA UIC Wins Big in the Big Easy

On April 11th, 2019 The American Marketing Association (AMA) Chapter of the University of Illinois at Chicago had the opportunity to attend the AMA International Collegiate Conference. This conference of over 1,600 students is held every spring in New Orleans, Louisiana. During our time at the conference our members participated in the Digital Marketing Bootcamp, workshops, panels and guest speaker events. We had the opportunity to network with other collegiate chapters from across the country. ... read more

UIC Business Students Win 2nd Place in Deloitte FanTAXtic Case Competition

After winning first place in the Deloitte FanTAXtic Regional Competition, Nabeeha Bakhrani ’21, Giselle Downs ’20, Michal Kornecki ’21 finished in second place at the National Case Competition at Deloitte University in Dallas, Texas last month, defeating teams from University of Utah, Texas A&M, University of Nebraska, University of Northern Iowa, Syracuse University, Fordham University and North Carolina State University. This year was the first time UIC was invited to compete and this team has... read more

American Marketing Association at University of Illinois at Chicago Visits PepsiCo

Zainub Ghias is a fourth-year UIC Business Ambassador pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Marketing with a Business Analytics minor. In the summer of 2018, Zainub was a Business and Entrepreneurship intern at the Golden Corridor Makerspace and William Rainey Harper College. She currently works as a Communication Aide with the Physics Department and General Office Aide with Biology Department at UIC. She also serves as the Secretary of the American Marketing Association and Vice Chair of Marketing... read more

QuanTâm by Team Chaplin Shows that Teamwork Makes the Dream Work

Team Chaplin is a name business professors and students have heard throughout the last few years. The team is led by Professor Lan Nguyen Chaplin, who was selected by Poets & Quants (the most read news website on business programs with 100 million visitors) as one of the Top 50 Undergraduate Business Professors. Professor Chaplin selects students to join the high-performing team, as well as who can come back next semester. Her selection criteria includes professionalism, resiliency, strong work... read more

Touring with an Atlantic Records Artist as a Creative Director

by Johnny Fan During 2016, I worked as a creative director for Atlantic Records music artist Sir the Baptist. I served as his touring photographer and videographer and digital marketing and branding manager.  Sir the Baptist offered me this opportunity after I worked on a magazine press shoot with him.  After that connection, he was impressed by my work and found a way for us to continue collaborating. The major function of my work with Sir the Baptist consisted of building the brand of the... read more

Pitching a Client as a General Mills Intern

by Lianne Ramahi   This past summer, I had the opportunity to work at General Mills, Inc. as a business management associate intern. This role was heavily focused on data analysis for the domestic western region sales team in Scottsdale, Ariz. Throughout this experience, I was given projects similar to those that would be performed as a first-year associate. I took ownership of impactful projects that added tangible value to the company.   General Mills truly values nurturing its employees... read more

Developing Banking Industry Expertise as a BMO Intern

by Jasur Rasulov This summer, I completed an internship as a treasury sales and services officer at the BMO Harris Bank’s Treasury and Payment Solutions group in Chicago. My group was responsible for delivering cash management services to commercial clients. In my role, I primarily supported sales teams across three markets-- mid-corporate, institutional, and engineering and construction--in the fulfillment of everyday banking products. On a daily basis, I prepared and executed lending... read more

From UIC Business to the Magic Kingdom

by Cynthia Mancilla   Beginning in June and continuing through the end of the year, I’ve been fortunate to be working for a mouse, Mickey Mouse, as a Consumer Insights Market Research intern at the Walt Disney Company offices in Orlando, Florida.   So far, I’ve had the great pleasure of researching consumers in the U.S. as well as international consumers in Mexico, Brazil, and Canada. Part of my role is assisting in qualitative and quantitative research projects across Disney parks and... read more

Summer in Boca Raton: Karthik Sundar's work at ADT headquarters

Karthik Sundar is a full-time MIS candidate graduating from UIC Liautaud this year. Sundar earned his B.Tech in Communications Engineering from SASTRA University in India, and has been working in the security industry with the goal of moving into marketing and CRM analytics. He recently interned for ADT, a leading provider of security and automation solutions for homes and businesses in the United States and Canada. Sundar sat down with our student writers at the beginning of the Fall 2016... read more

Business Scholars at the Top of Wacker Drive

by Nicole Kaushanski One of the lessons I’m learning as a Business Scholar is that it’s never too early to make introductions at Chicago’s big firms. In the last month and a half, I’ve been introduced around two of the Big Four at their offices on Wacker Drive, and I’ve met people who have given me a much clearer picture of my career path. In late April, just a few weeks before the end of my freshman year, a small group of accounting students visited Deloitte at their downtown office, and a few... read more

Getting to the Chicago Mercantile Exchange from UIC Business

by Saif Sarvana I’m an intern at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and a junior at UIC Business, though I’m just now finishing my second semester here. I transferred from the College of DuPage over the summer of 2015. Why did I transfer to UIC? The short answer is the value of the UIC Business program. What does that mean? Well, here’s the long answer. I was curious about markets and finance from an early age, and I’ve been investing for a long time. I bought my first stock when I was twelve. I... read more

Sam Zell Closes Spring '16 Executives in the Classroom

The Spring 2016 Executives in the Classroom series ended on a high note last Thursday morning with a visit from Equity Group Investments Chairman Sam Zell. Mr. Zell joined UIC Business students in Lecture Center C1 for an hour-long discussion that touched on the Zell Family Foundation and included students' SWOT analysis of Par Pacific, an energy company with which Equity Group has recently become affiliated. Students got to hear the story of Mr. Zell’s first venture, a property management... read more

The Graduate Finance & Investment Group at UIC Liautaud

Do you want experience managing stock portfolios, but aren’t sure where to start? Need practice writing an investment thesis or pitching a finance strategy to a start-up? The Graduate Finance & Investment Group (GFIG) at UIC Liautaud helps students understand the world of finance, both by educating students in the practices of the financial sector and by offering networking opportunities that connect students with finance professionals. GFIG has a lot going on. Each semester, we host our... read more

An HR Analyst Reflects on Choosing UIC Business

by Raven M. Temple This May, I’ll graduate from UIC Business with a degree in management and finance and begin working full-time for XR Trading as a human resources analyst. The path leading up to my business degree has been long; I started pursuing a curiosity about stocks and bonds as early as elementary school. By high school, I was sure I’d study business in college. Why did I choose UIC Business?   Consider the value of a UIC Business degree. For a top-ranked undergraduate business program... read more

Introducing INFORMS

Institute for Operations Research and Management Sciences (INFORMS) Who we are You know those people who use free pizza to lure audiences to their boring PowerPoint presentations? Or people who waste hours at a conference table batting around buzzwords? We are NOT them. We are the young consultants, coders and zealous geeks of UIC Liautaud united against the boring misuse of pizza and of time. What we do We organize events to help MIS students, MSBA students and anyone from the information... read more

Calling All UIC Entrepreneurs: Apply for Campus 1871

Text by Abhinaya Konduru. UIC Business students interested in Chicago’s startup community can't afford to miss Campus 1871, which takes place April 8-10 in downtown Chicago. The Campus 1871 application is due Sunday, February 14th. What is 1871? 1871 is a nonprofit tech incubator on the 12th floor of the Merchandise Mart. The name comes from the year of the Great Chicago Fire, though not from the fire itself. “It’s about what happened next,” says 1871’s website, “a remarkable moment when the... read more

The BAC Connection at UIC Business

The Business Advisory Council (BAC) at UIC Business dates back to 1969. It was one of the original organizations within the Business College, and remains one of the core connections between UIC Business and Chicago’s business community. Through BAC, countless UIC students have made their introductions to Chicago businesses over the years, and continue to do so. Toward the end of the fall '15 semester, BAC brought some Deloitte staff on campus to meet students. Sam Vaghmare, a freshman student in... read more

How to Maximize Returns on Your Liautaud Investment

This past August, I was given the opportunity to promote the Graduate Finance & Investment Group to the incoming students at the UIC Liautaud Graduate School of Business Fall Orientation. It gave me pause to reflect on where I was academically, and professionally only 12 months ago: seeking a career change, working exhausting hours, and wondering if I had the time to complete the MBA program successfully. Little did I know that by committing more of my time to causes outside of my direct benefit... read more