Student Posts

Summer in Boca Raton: Karthik Sundar's work at ADT headquarters

Karthik Sundar is a full-time MIS candidate graduating from UIC Liautaud this year. Sundar earned his B.Tech in Communications Engineering from SASTRA University in India, and has been working in the security industry with the goal of moving into marketing and CRM analytics. He recently interned for ADT, a leading provider of security and automation solutions for homes and businesses in the United States and Canada. Sundar sat down with our student writers at the beginning of the Fall 2016... read more

Business Scholars at the Top of Wacker Drive

by Nicole Kaushanski One of the lessons I’m learning as a Business Scholar is that it’s never too early to make introductions at Chicago’s big firms. In the last month and a half, I’ve been introduced around two of the Big Four at their offices on Wacker Drive, and I’ve met people who have given me a much clearer picture of my career path. In late April, just a few weeks before the end of my freshman year, a small group of accounting students visited Deloitte at their downtown office, and a few... read more

Getting to the Chicago Mercantile Exchange from UIC Business

by Saif Sarvana I’m an intern at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and a junior at UIC Business, though I’m just now finishing my second semester here. I transferred from the College of DuPage over the summer of 2015. Why did I transfer to UIC? The short answer is the value of the UIC Business program. What does that mean? Well, here’s the long answer. I was curious about markets and finance from an early age, and I’ve been investing for a long time. I bought my first stock when I was twelve. I... read more

Sam Zell Closes Spring '16 Executives in the Classroom

The Spring 2016 Executives in the Classroom series ended on a high note last Thursday morning with a visit from Equity Group Investments Chairman Sam Zell. Mr. Zell joined UIC Business students in Lecture Center C1 for an hour-long discussion that touched on the Zell Family Foundation and included students' SWOT analysis of Par Pacific, an energy company with which Equity Group has recently become affiliated. Students got to hear the story of Mr. Zell’s first venture, a property management... read more

The Graduate Finance & Investment Group at UIC Liautaud

Do you want experience managing stock portfolios, but aren’t sure where to start? Need practice writing an investment thesis or pitching a finance strategy to a start-up? The Graduate Finance & Investment Group (GFIG) at UIC Liautaud helps students understand the world of finance, both by educating students in the practices of the financial sector and by offering networking opportunities that connect students with finance professionals. GFIG has a lot going on. Each semester, we host our... read more

An HR Analyst Reflects on Choosing UIC Business

by Raven M. Temple This May, I’ll graduate from UIC Business with a degree in management and finance and begin working full-time for XR Trading as a human resources analyst. The path leading up to my business degree has been long; I started pursuing a curiosity about stocks and bonds as early as elementary school. By high school, I was sure I’d study business in college. Why did I choose UIC Business?   Consider the value of a UIC Business degree. For a top-ranked undergraduate business program... read more

Introducing INFORMS

Institute for Operations Research and Management Sciences (INFORMS) Who we are You know those people who use free pizza to lure audiences to their boring PowerPoint presentations? Or people who waste hours at a conference table batting around buzzwords? We are NOT them. We are the young consultants, coders and zealous geeks of UIC Liautaud united against the boring misuse of pizza and of time. What we do We organize events to help MIS students, MSBA students and anyone from the information... read more

Calling All UIC Entrepreneurs: Apply for Campus 1871

Text by Abhinaya Konduru. UIC Business students interested in Chicago’s startup community can't afford to miss Campus 1871, which takes place April 8-10 in downtown Chicago. The Campus 1871 application is due Sunday, February 14th. What is 1871? 1871 is a nonprofit tech incubator on the 12th floor of the Merchandise Mart. The name comes from the year of the Great Chicago Fire, though not from the fire itself. “It’s about what happened next,” says 1871’s website, “a remarkable moment when the... read more

The BAC Connection at UIC Business

The Business Advisory Council (BAC) at UIC Business dates back to 1969. It was one of the original organizations within the Business College, and remains one of the core connections between UIC Business and Chicago’s business community. Through BAC, countless UIC students have made their introductions to Chicago businesses over the years, and continue to do so. Toward the end of the fall '15 semester, BAC brought some Deloitte staff on campus to meet students. Sam Vaghmare, a freshman student in... read more

How to Maximize Returns on Your Liautaud Investment

This past August, I was given the opportunity to promote the Graduate Finance & Investment Group to the incoming students at the UIC Liautaud Graduate School of Business Fall Orientation. It gave me pause to reflect on where I was academically, and professionally only 12 months ago: seeking a career change, working exhausting hours, and wondering if I had the time to complete the MBA program successfully. Little did I know that by committing more of my time to causes outside of my direct benefit... read more

Experience Liautaud in Action!

What does a typical day of a graduate student at Liautaud look like? If you are thinking of applying for a masters program, we encourage you to register for a class visit to experience Liautaud in Action! This class visit can help you understand the culture, give you the opportunity to learn from current students, and discover if Liautaud is the right fit for you. We have a variety of class visits being offered this semester including accounting, economics, finance, management, and more. View... read more

Apply for UIC InKIND 2015

Each year since 2012, the UIC Liautaud Graduate School of Business has offered free consulting to Chicago-area nonprofit organizations through the MBA Association’s InKIND Consulting Program, part of the training that graduate students receive at the Liautaud Graduate School of Business. InKIND student consulting groups form in early fall, and are paired with participating nonprofits, who come to InKIND for consulting on a wide variety of problems. Student consulting groups work with their... read more

Taxes on Scholarships and Grants? That’s Right, Your Scholarships and Grants Are Not Tax-Free

Did you get a scholarship or grant this past year? Did you receive a refund deposited to your bank account after all tuition and fees were paid? If you answered yes to both of those questions, then you should keep reading. Actually, you should keep reading regardless because this is good knowledge to have about taxes, scholarships and grants, and reporting it to the IRS. I did not find out I had to pay taxes on scholarships and grants until after April 15 last year. I had to pay a late penalty... read more

Forbes Reinventing America Summit

I know. I know. It is about time I started blogging. I have been pushing this back for too long. We are about to head into the fourteenth week of the semester! I am constantly communicating to students to quit making excuses like "I don't have time", and just do it... Sadly, I did not follow my own guidance when it came to blogging. Plus, I think I promised a College of Business Administration staff member, you know who you are, that I would write about my experience with the Forbes Reinventing... read more

Travel to Washington DC, Dayton, Dallas, Palo Alto & San Francisco FOR FREE

This is not some crazy marketing scheme! I legit traveled to all four of those places in the last four to five months for free. The purpose of this blog is not to show you how to go to the mentioned locations for free (although you can try and copy my methods if you want), but rather, show you how I created and took advantage of the opportunities presented in front of me. So I’ll stop wasting your time and get right to it. Washington DC – This happened through an invitation to attend the... read more

Done with the Semester? Plans for the Summer? Remember, Education is Endless

Doing an internship. Planning on summer school. Serving the community. Traveling to another country. Playing sports. Reconnecting with family or friends. Whatever you choose to do this summer, it is important to keep educating yourself and growing. During my high school years, I wasted my summer, and I feel like many people do that during the summer as well. All I did on my spare time, from what I remember, was play video games, play basketball, go to the beach, and work. Now I am not saying... read more

7 Steps to Become a More Productive Business Student

Say Farewell to Unproductive Semesters! So I hear students say “I don’t have time.” Well I’m not buying it. The truth is you don’t want to make time. I have formulated 7 steps for you to become a more productive business student. 1. Get off Social Media I don’t know if this the most important one, but this was the first one that came to my mind. Leaving social media is more difficult for some than others. Think about the amount of time you use on social media every week and how unproductive you... read more

Student Profile: Bernard Gaytan

Bernard Gaytan, Class of 2016 Major:  Information and Decision Sciences Hometown:  Elgin, IL What attracted you to UIC? What attracted me most to UIC is its location. UIC is located in the heart of Chicago, a very diverse city with many opportunies to learn from other cultures and ethnicities. Also, UIC is a public research university. Students are able to get a quality education with a reasonable financial investment. Did you want to become a business major before you started college? Yes, I... read more

Faculty Spotlight- Özgür Arslan-Ayaydin

Dr. Özgür Arslan-Ayaydin is using UIC's significant diversity as a catalyst for a unique new offering in the finance department--Islamic Banking and Finance. She explains more about her background and what led her to teach this particular course.  Background Dr. Arslan-Ayaydin earned her undergraduate degree in economics at Hacettepe University, Turkey, and a master's degree in finance at the University of Leicester, UK. She completed her formal studies at Hacettepe University, where she earned... read more

The Business Alumni Association and You

Each year the Business Alumni Association (BAA) sponsors events that range from networking happy hours to behind the scene looks at Chicago-area businesses and cultural institutions to community service events.  These activities are a fun way to stay involved with UIC after graduating and a great idea for current students to get involved now.  Meeting with and building relationships with alumni can polish your communication skills and create the connections you need to secure a job later.   If... read more