Iman Siddiqui

Spring Break Destination: Chicago

Students spending spring break in Chicago have a great opportunity to explore the city we live in (but are always too busy for). Here are a few things to check out around town: Hit up Hyde Park Most people come and go from the Museum of Science and Industry without ever exploring the neighborhood around it. Over spring break, the Hyde Park Art Center will have exhibitions of work by Jessie Mott, Rhonda Wheatley, and collaborative work on the theme of public education. The Renaissance Society has... read more

Brian Boyenga and the Career Paths Through UIC Liautaud

Do you have questions about a graduate business degree from UIC Liautaud? We have admissions counselors on standby ready to discuss your education and career. In this post, I’ll introduce one of our newest Graduate Admissions Counselors, Brian Boyenga. Brian Boyenga came to UIC Liautaud from Luverne, Minnesota by way of Minneapolis and two other admissions offices. “I grew up on a 100-year-old family farm outside of Luverne,” he says. “My parents still live there, and I enjoy visiting and... read more

Liautaud Internships at BMO Harris

Amy Guo is a full-time MBA candidate graduating from UIC Liautaud next spring. Guo brings her combined backgrounds in business analytics and digital advertising to her marketing concentration at Liautaud. In this post, she shares her internship experience at BMO Harris from this past summer. In February of 2016, Jeff Wilson at the Business Career Center emailed us about internship opportunities at BMO Harris, so I took the first step toward applying, emailing the hiring manager at BMO Harris to... read more

Find your Liautaud student organization

The first week of term was a whirlwind. You worked or interned over the summer, and jumped from the frying pan into the fire. But by now you've adjusted (we hope) and put your priorities in order. If you're new to Liautaud and haven't yet joined a graduate student organization, now's the time to choose. UIC Liautaud encourages all students to become a part of the campus community by joining at least one of the many graduate student organizations at UIC Business. We've already done a lot of... read more

Student Ambassador Spotlight: Christian Guerrero

We recently caught up with Christian Guerrero, a full-time MBA student at UIC Liautaud and a student ambassador within UIC Business. Christian told us a little about why he came to Liautaud and what advice he has for prospective MBA students. What prompted you to return to school for an MBA? I studied management in undergrad, and throughout all of college I worked for a circuit board manufacturer. When I graduated, it just so happened that the opportunities with my employer beat out everything... read more

Fall 2016 Liautaud courses: getting the most finance for your dollar

Class registration for the fall semester is open, which means it’s time to make some tough choices. With such a wide selection of courses, it can be overwhelming to select the classes best suited to your needs. One of the hardest parts of the process is finding enough information on your different options. Liautaud students looking for finance courses might be interested in FIN 594, the Fall 2016 special topics course in finance. This fall, FIN 594 will focus on applied investment management.... read more

Spring Break Destination: Chicago

Spring Break comes to the rescue right when students couldn’t possibly bear another minute of work. Some of us will be leaving town next week for warmer weather, and some of us, loathe to lift a finger during much needed rest, will hardly leave our pajamas. UIC Business students spending Spring Break in Chicago have a great opportunity to explore the city we live in (but are always too busy for). Here are a few things to do around town: “Earth laughs in flowers.” For those of you craving spring... read more

Student Organization Spotlight: Business Analytics Organization

Many students underestimate the importance of building relationships during their time in school. Liautaud students have heard again and again and again the importance of building a personal network during school and maintaining it into our careers. The student organizations at UIC Business provide some of the best opportunities for students to network and build lasting friendships, but each student only has so much time to devote to extracurriculars, and finding the right organization can be... read more

Marisa Randle and the Art of the Career

Career paths are seldom picture perfect, and there’s no single route to a given job. A career is a composition, a variety of experiences and steps taken in pursuit of success. But one thing you’ll find behind most stories of success is a combination of hard work, opportunity and the good sense to jump at opportunity when it arises. On the evening of February 18, Marisa Randle, MBA ’11, spoke to the Graduate Marketing Association (GMARK) at UIC Liautaud about the pathways from the MBA to our... read more

Holiday Events Around Town

Finals week has come to an end, and while there wasn't much of a chill in the air, nor really a single snowflake to be seen on campus, winter break is upon us, whether Chicago weather is with us or not. Here are some great ways to make use of all that free time: Ice skating in the park The quintessential winter activity. For the real skating-in-the-city experience, visit the McCormick Tribune rink on Michigan Ave. Twinkling lights in the trees, buildings rising up around you, and Anish Kapoor's... read more

A Week in the Life of Naina Suri

Hello! I'm Naina Suri, MBA '17 with a concentration in marketing and business analytics. I moved to Chicago from Mumbai to attend UIC Business. So, what's a week like in the life of a Liautaud student? MONDAY My days start around nine. I get up, get ready, and, because what they say is true - Chicago weather is unpredictable! - I check the forecast. I’ve learned to never leave home without a sweater and umbrella. Now that it’s November, add a winter coat to that. Tip for new arrivals - there’s... read more

Hidden Gem Electives at Liautaud

The fact that I’ll be a quarter of the way through my MBA in about a month is surreal, yet stressful. The reality of how quickly these two years will pass is hitting me and bringing with it the pressure of trying to make the most of my short time here at UIC Liautaud. With spring registration now open, the buzz about next semester’s classes can be heard everywhere around campus. While I know which core courses I’ll be taking, I want to ensure my elective courses are not only educational, but... read more

Liautaud Students at SAP TechEd

Five Liautaud MIS students recently returned from the SAP TechEd conference, which ran from October 17-23 at The Venetian in Las Vegas. The students - Sameer Deshpande, Pravesh Shenoy, Karthikeyan Venugopal, Chiranjib Ghorai, and Manohar Lakshmikanthaiah  - represented UIC last April at the Kraft Data Drive competition, where they took first place in the Clustering Challenge. Their victory in April came with an invitation to participate in the annual SAP InnoJam and Data Genius competitions at... read more