Eileen Du

The Stewards of Business Student Organizations

Since 1973, the CSSLA ceremony has recognized outstanding student leaders and student volunteers who, while maintaining high academic achievement, demonstrate a commitment to the UIC community through participation in student organizations and campus activities and throughout the greater Chicagoland area through active service and community engagement. One of this year’s award recipients was Michael J. Mlekowski, an MBA candidate at UIC Liautaud. Below, Michael tells us about his work for the... read more

The Rewards of Student Leadership

One highlight of the academic year is the annual Chancellor’s Student Service and Leadership Awards (CSSLA) ceremony. Since 1973, the CSSLA ceremony has recognized outstanding student leaders and student volunteers who, while maintaining high academic achievement, demonstrate a commitment to the UIC community through participation in student organizations and campus activities and throughout the greater Chicagoland area through active service and community engagement. One of this year’s award... read more

UIC Business Welcomes Alanna O'Connor, Assistant Dean for Student Recruitment

UIC Business wants incoming students to build their careers on solid ground, which is why special attention is devoted to prospective students, so that even before matriculation, they have strong connections with faculty, current students, and the university’s array of career resources. “There is a network of support at UIC and in the business college made up of people who care and are invested in your success,” says Alanna O’Connor. O’Connor is the new Assistant Dean for Student Recruitment at... read more

UIC's Best Hidden Study Spots

Maybe this sounds familiar: finals are just around the corner, so you're on a tight schedule, and you need a good place to study, but in every cafe and reading room on campus you see bodies in chairs without a free seat in sight. You scour campus for a decent space, and by the time you find one, you're down a significant fraction of your study time.  My search for the perfect study spot was a semester project all its own. And I don't consider myself picky; I don't need to be totally alone, and I... read more

From Military Service to Business Leadership

Rachel Kim, BS ’16, is a Technical Recruiter at OtterBase. Kim shares her insights below about how veterans can emphasize their strengths when circulating their resumés. Two veterans featured in this article are UIC students – Brian (MBA grad) and Michael (current MBA candidate at UIC). The skills that lead to success in the military can lead to success in business, which is why business schools, recruiters, and firms are on the lookout for veterans. Veterans on the job market enjoy the respect... read more

Amish Brahmbhatt: from Sears Holdings Corporation to UIC Liautaud

We regularly invite our MBA Ambassadors to share their views on student life at UIC Liautaud. Amish Brahmbhatt is a full-time Liautaud MBA student and President of the MBA Association. Below, Amish shares his reflections on the first year of his Liautaud experience.   As an analyst in the Consumer Electronics department of Sears Holdings, I was responsible for compiling data to support testing and solve business problems. Over time, I started thinking more and more about not just how we... read more

Join the Liautaud Consulting Groups at inKind

We’ve already blogged a bit about how student organizations at UIC Business can help you win scholarships and land jobs. These organizations also offer business students opportunities to apply classroom lessons and fill out their resumés with valuable work-related experience, and when it comes to consulting work, students need look no further than inKind at UIC Business. Liautaud students interested in consulting should read on for details about how to get involved in the 2016-17 year inKind... read more

New Offerings for Fall 2016: MBA 590 Foundations in Entrepreneurship

The Illinois Small Business Development Center at the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce plays a key role in the resources that the Chamber of Commerce offers business and entrepreneurs, resources that include business planning, market research, assistance dealing with local governments, and much more. This fall, Liautaud students have the opportunity to explore these resources in MBA 590 - Foundations in Entrepreneurship, an 8-week course led by Florence Hardy, Director of the Illinois SBDC at the... read more

Chicago's Top Summer Offerings

With July 4th behind us, summer break can feel a little like a short downhill slide toward the beginning of the fall semester (just six weeks away). If you haven’t yet, it’s time to get serious about your summer. Whether this is your first summer in Chicago, your fourth, or your umpteenth, you’ll find more to do outside than can be crammed into your remaining free time: festivals, concerts, beaches, baseball games, day trips—from the city’s front yard on the lake to its back yard in the woods... read more

UIC Liautaud's New MSM Program

The American Marketing Association recently produced a video laying out the seven major problems in marketing today. In response to the rapidly changing demands of the marketing profession, UIC Liautaud will begin offering a one-year MS in marketing in the Fall of 2016. So what kind of challenges do marketing professionals face, and how will UIC Liautaud students solve them?   1. Effectively targeting high value sources of growth. In a real market, not everyone is interested in what you’re... read more

Life is what happens while you're busy getting an MBA

Sean Kemper, MBA ’17 here, writing from the border of Buena Park and Wrigleyville on Chicago's north side. It’s early in the Spring ’16 semester, the work has yet to pile up, and while I don’t actually have a lot of free time, winter break was recent enough that I still feel like I have some free time, which I’ve used to snap a few pics and share a picture of my life at Liautaud. My days start early; Coconut and Mung-Mung, my Yorkshire terriers, want breakfast and a walk, and I’ve learned that... read more

Braving New Fields in the MBA

I used to tell myself that once I got into business school I would focus on marketing and marketing only. In meetings with my career advisor, I was confident that after immersing myself in marketing studies, I’d transition easily into a marketing career. He would push back - a narrow focus on marketing might be inadequate, he'd say, to a job market driven by demand for data skills. Fortunately for me, Liautaud’s IDS courses were an option. I waded into IDS last semester with an Introduction to... read more

The Music of an MBA

Starting a brand new life as a graduate student in a foreign country isn't always easy. Schoolwork alone is a source of stress. Add to that the challenges of settling into an unfamiliar big city and navigating a culture not your own, and you get a glimpse of the problem of 'blending in'. Yih-Ting Chen is one a few new Liautuad MBA students who have come to Chicago from other countries. How has he dealt with blending in? "MBA student life requires you to plan your downtime carefully. Why would I... read more