Career Services

UIC Business Scholar Moves from Shiftgig to BMO Harris

UIC Business Scholar Alex Alderman, a finance major in his junior year, hasn’t wasted any time diversifying his resume. In the summer of 2015, Alderman began interning at Shiftgig. This summer, he moves on to an internship at BMO Harris. It all started by connecting with other Business Scholars. “Had I not been networking among the Business Scholars, I wouldn’t have gotten the Shiftgig job,” he says. “I was lucky to meet another Scholar who already had their foot in that door.” Shiftgig, a... read more

How a UIC Transfer Student Joined a Top Consulting Firm

Samu Thomas, BS ’16, has one piece of advice for UIC Business students: find your area of interest and focus. Thomas works as an IT consultant for Maven Wave Partners, where consultants like himself help clients like Nike, US Foods, Bosch, and other familiar names stay up to speed in the digital marketplace. Thomas found this work–and the IDS degree that led to it–after a little soul-searching of his own. “Early on in college, I was doing electronic and communications engineering,” Thomas says.... read more

Liautaud Internships at BMO Harris

Amy Guo is a full-time MBA candidate graduating from UIC Liautaud next spring. Guo brings her combined backgrounds in business analytics and digital advertising to her marketing concentration at Liautaud. In this post, she shares her internship experience at BMO Harris from this past summer. In February of 2016, Jeff Wilson at the Business Career Center emailed us about internship opportunities at BMO Harris, so I took the first step toward applying, emailing the hiring manager at BMO Harris to... read more

From Military Service to Business Leadership

Rachel Kim, BS ’16, is a Technical Recruiter at OtterBase. Kim shares her insights below about how veterans can emphasize their strengths when circulating their resumés. Two veterans featured in this article are UIC students – Brian (MBA grad) and Michael (current MBA candidate at UIC). The skills that lead to success in the military can lead to success in business, which is why business schools, recruiters, and firms are on the lookout for veterans. Veterans on the job market enjoy the respect... read more

Summer in Boca Raton: Karthik Sundar's work at ADT headquarters

Karthik Sundar is a full-time MIS candidate graduating from UIC Liautaud this year. Sundar earned his B.Tech in Communications Engineering from SASTRA University in India, and has been working in the security industry with the goal of moving into marketing and CRM analytics. He recently interned for ADT, a leading provider of security and automation solutions for homes and businesses in the United States and Canada. Sundar sat down with our student writers at the beginning of the Fall 2016... read more

Keeping Data on the Rails: Miranda Powell's Work at TTX

On any given weekday, a handful of analysts are working in an office above North Wacker Drive, collecting current data on over 200,000 railcars scattered across North America, the fleet of the TTX Company. Freight is constantly in motion, and this means data is constantly pouring in. Miranda Powell, a senior at UIC Business, is one of the analysts who makes sense of it all. “A railcar goes over alerts on the tracks, and we get data from each axle or 'truck' on each car,” says Powell. “Alerts... read more

From Classroom to Factory Floor: Richard Lekakh's Caterpillar Internship

Four years ago, Richard Lekakh was a freshman at Northeastern Illinois University taking the necessary steps toward a career in education. "I was gearing up to become a schoolteacher," Lekakh says, "and I was looking forward to it. But then, by chance, I took an internship at Water Tower Financial Partners." The glimpse into the business world led him to change gears, and change schools, too.  Fast-forward to the present: Lekakh is going into his senior year at UIC Business, and just returned... read more

Getting to the Chicago Mercantile Exchange from UIC Business

by Saif Sarvana I’m an intern at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and a junior at UIC Business, though I’m just now finishing my second semester here. I transferred from the College of DuPage over the summer of 2015. Why did I transfer to UIC? The short answer is the value of the UIC Business program. What does that mean? Well, here’s the long answer. I was curious about markets and finance from an early age, and I’ve been investing for a long time. I bought my first stock when I was twelve. I... read more

A Scholar's Path To Tax Accounting

UIC Business Scholars met this morning at a restaurant near campus for their mid-semester check-in, an opportunity for the Scholars to reconnect with their mentoring families and take a break from studying for midterms. Collegiate Association of Business Scholars (CABS) members, upperclassmen and the Assistant Director of the Business Scholars Program were on hand to provide feedback, answer questions and catch up more generally over pizza. The UIC Business blog caught up with senior Scholar... read more

Why Surveys and Rankings Matter

It’s hard to imagine anymore how “searching for the right college” could mean searching in any way other than online. And as students sift through the many schools they could apply to, they inevitably glance at rankings. “The Best Business Schools List,” “America’s Best Business Schools,” “The Best MBAs of 2015” - rankings have proliferated to the point that we can no longer consult just one, if we’re going to consult any at all.  Colleges covet these rankings, despite their overabundance, and... read more

Do's & Don'ts: Freshman Year First Semester

Do's ​​​Do explore different majors, Chicago and who you are. Your next few years depend on the type of choices you make and who you become. It is time for you to explore and learn more about yourself. If you came with a major, is that really what you want to do? Do you know what type of work you will be doing once you graduate? Do you know which classes you need to take beyond the core classes? Below are a few questions you can ask yourself. You might not know all the answers, but by asking the... read more

Liautaud Students Meet with Larry Byrne of Ogilvy & Mather

On the evening of Thursday, October 1, the UIC Graduate Marketing Association (GMARK) hosted a conversation with Larry Byrne, Senior Partner and Chief Production Officer for Ogilvy & Mather. The event, put together by Jeffrey Wilson of UIC Business Career Services, was part of the MBA Career Topics series, which is designed to give Liautaud students a view from the C-suite by introducing them to executives from Chicagoland firms. Byrne is not only an exec at a Chicago firm, he’s also a lifelong... read more

Meet the Firms with the UIC Business Accounting Club

Each September, the UIC Business Accounting Club invites students and recent graduates of UIC to Meet the Firms, an opportunity to gain an introduction to Chicago’s professional accounting community and to learn about work opportunities in the field. On last Monday, September 21, students and recent alumni spent the afternoon in the Illinois Rooms of Student Center East with over 30 firms from the Chicagoland area, including the Big Four: Deloitte, KPMG, Ernst & Young and PricewaterhouseCoopers. ... read more

From Neckties to Namecards: Making the Most of a Career Fair

What: UIC Business Career Fair When: Monday, September 21 from 11:00a.m. to 2:00p.m.           Where: UIC Student Center East, Illinois Room   The internet has radically changed the job hunt. Not only does the idea of handing out resumes downtown seem quaint; even the print classifieds feel like an unreliable place to look for work. The prevalence of digital classifieds and online job boards has both simplified the job search and made the process almost entirely Web-based. But those who have... read more

For the Ladies - The Power Outfit

Hello my UIC Ladies!  I know that many of us just finished swapping our resumes for company business cards (http://blog.business.uic.edu/business-cards-101) from the Business Career Center's Spring 2015 Career Fair! I hope many of you had a chance to chat with lots of companies and hopefully snag some interviews for spring/summer internships. As you're waiting for that phone call/ follow-up email reply, you should start thinking wardrobe REVAMP!  "Gaby, why would we think that?" Once those... read more

Business Cards 101

Welcome to Business Cards 101! In this crash course, you will know all there is needed to know about business cards.    Materials:  1. A company you will buy from  (Vistaprint is recommended because they have lots of deals like 100 cards for $8!)  *Click on deals to see what we are talking about ;)  2. Your bio shortened to a few sentences/phrases 3. Money to purchase the cards 4. A business card holder (nice, but not needed)  5. Networking skills, so you can actually put these cards to use! ... read more

Alumni Success Story: Ron Brigel, '97 Management

Where did you grow up? I grew up in Hyde Park, just a few blocks from where my restaurant is now located. What prompted you to choose UIC? Did you enroll knowing you'd major in business? I chose UIC because of the great value of education offered at competitive prices.  In UIC I saw a $4,000 per year school (at the time) whose degree was respected as well as the $20,000 per year schools.  I knew I would be a business major.  At that point in my life I went to college for one reason - to increase... read more

The Business Alumni Association and You

Each year the Business Alumni Association (BAA) sponsors events that range from networking happy hours to behind the scene looks at Chicago-area businesses and cultural institutions to community service events.  These activities are a fun way to stay involved with UIC after graduating and a great idea for current students to get involved now.  Meeting with and building relationships with alumni can polish your communication skills and create the connections you need to secure a job later.   If... read more

Start your job hunt today with these great tips!

College is a busy time for everyone.  Whether you are attending full time or part time, the days fill with homework, group projects, work, internships, family, student org meetings and more.  As a result, thinking about the job search often gets pushed to the back burner until well into a student's last year. Lindsay Olson, a PR and recruiting specialist, has great tips for current students to implement from the very beginning of their college career - check out her blog post to learn more. In... read more

Alumni Success Story: The UIC Business Entrepreneurial Spirit

Chris Kearney, BS Marketing '09 Entrepreneur and owner of College Rising Photo Credit: Erica Minix Where did you grow up? I grew up in the west burbs of Chicago in Burr Ridge and Willow Springs. What prompted you to choose UIC? Did you enroll knowing you'd major in business? I came to UIC as a transfer student from the College of DuPage and Joliet Junior College.  My two school options were UIC and UIUC. I had a few close friends at each school, but thought UIC was a great value compared to... read more