Business Scholars

A Chance to Change Someone's Life

Al Heller ’75 Accounting, Operating Partner for Water Street Healthcare Partners, LLC Keeping the family tradition alive, and because it was most affordable, Al Heller (BS Accounting ’75) followed in his brothers’ footsteps and attended The University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) for his undergraduate degree. Al wanted to be sure he received a “top notch” accounting education, which UIC was able to provide. Al earned his degree in accounting at the College of Business Administration while... read more

UIC Business Scholar Completes Internship with Enterprise

Michael Lev, a senior Business Scholar majoring in marketing and minoring in managerial skills, completed an Account Specialist Internship with Enterprise Truck Rental this summer. His many successes in the position – including receiving an award for Top Presenter among over 70 interns – were made possible by the professional skills he developed at UIC Business. Lev was invited to an interview at Enterprise’s headquarters in Lombard after connecting with a recruiter and filling out an... read more

Founded at UIC Business: One. Clothing Brand

UIC Business Scholar sophomores Edgar Gabriel Avalos and Brian (Seungyong) Lee are the co-founders of One. Clothing Brand.  We caught up with Avalos and Lee to learn about the company, what is coming up next for the brand, and the role UIC Business has played in the company’s founding. Both Avalos, born in the U.S. and raised in Mexico City, and Lee, raised in Seoul, South Korea before moving to Michigan in 2009, brought a passion for entrepreneurship with them to UIC.  In October 2016, Avalos... read more

UIC Business Stamps our Passport

The study abroad application deadline for Spring 2018 is October 27! For UIC Business students, study abroad can be an experience that allows for significant professional and personal growth.  Through a combination of classroom instruction, immersion in local culture, and independent travel, Davis Birsan, a senior Finance major was able to get the most out of his study abroad experience. We sat down with Birsan to hear about his time in Seville, Spain as a participant with the CIEE International... read more

Q&A with Dean Michael Mikhail

In 2012, Michael Mikhail joined UIC as Dean of the College of Business. In five years, he’s launched programs such as iLEAD — the Institute for Leadership Excellence and Development -- the renowned Business Scholars program, increased enrollment, and improved student outcomes. We sat down with Dean Mikhail to hear his thoughts on the past five years and learn what he looks forward to accomplishing in the future. Q: You just underwent UIC’s five-year assessment process with rave reviews. What has... read more

Social Media Recap: September 2017

Be sure to follow UIC Business on social media to stay up to date on upcoming events campus activities, business news, and fun things going on around Chicago: Instagram: @UICBusiness Twitter: @CBAatUIC Facebook Page: UIC Business  We started the Fall 2017 semester with a busy and productive month. Let’s take a look back at some highlights with our September social media recap. It’s hard to say goodbye to a carefree summer schedule when classes start.  This year’s Student Org Networking Night... read more

Touring with an Atlantic Records Artist as a Creative Director

by Johnny Fan During 2016, I worked as a creative director for Atlantic Records music artist Sir the Baptist. I served as his touring photographer and videographer and digital marketing and branding manager.  Sir the Baptist offered me this opportunity after I worked on a magazine press shoot with him.  After that connection, he was impressed by my work and found a way for us to continue collaborating. The major function of my work with Sir the Baptist consisted of building the brand of the... read more

Pitching a Client as a General Mills Intern

by Lianne Ramahi   This past summer, I had the opportunity to work at General Mills, Inc. as a business management associate intern. This role was heavily focused on data analysis for the domestic western region sales team in Scottsdale, Ariz. Throughout this experience, I was given projects similar to those that would be performed as a first-year associate. I took ownership of impactful projects that added tangible value to the company.   General Mills truly values nurturing its employees... read more

Developing Banking Industry Expertise as a BMO Intern

by Jasur Rasulov This summer, I completed an internship as a treasury sales and services officer at the BMO Harris Bank’s Treasury and Payment Solutions group in Chicago. My group was responsible for delivering cash management services to commercial clients. In my role, I primarily supported sales teams across three markets-- mid-corporate, institutional, and engineering and construction--in the fulfillment of everyday banking products. On a daily basis, I prepared and executed lending... read more

From UIC Business to the Magic Kingdom

by Cynthia Mancilla   Beginning in June and continuing through the end of the year, I’ve been fortunate to be working for a mouse, Mickey Mouse, as a Consumer Insights Market Research intern at the Walt Disney Company offices in Orlando, Florida.   So far, I’ve had the great pleasure of researching consumers in the U.S. as well as international consumers in Mexico, Brazil, and Canada. Part of my role is assisting in qualitative and quantitative research projects across Disney parks and... read more

UIC Business Scholar Moves from Shiftgig to BMO Harris

UIC Business Scholar Alex Alderman, a finance major in his junior year, hasn’t wasted any time diversifying his resume. In the summer of 2015, Alderman began interning at Shiftgig. This summer, he moves on to an internship at BMO Harris. It all started by connecting with other Business Scholars. “Had I not been networking among the Business Scholars, I wouldn’t have gotten the Shiftgig job,” he says. “I was lucky to meet another Scholar who already had their foot in that door.” Shiftgig, a... read more

A Business Scholar Abroad

A few months ago, Business Scholar Liz Milaicki capped off her sophomore year with a summer semester abroad, studying in both Dublin and London and setting off at every opportunity to explore the European continent. Her overseas coursework earned her credit toward her minor in entrepreneurship, and her travels broadened her worldview and bolstered her personal independence.  Her studies abroad began in Dublin, where she ended up rooming with other Americans. "It worked out well," says... read more

Keeping Data on the Rails: Miranda Powell's Work at TTX

On any given weekday, a handful of analysts are working in an office above North Wacker Drive, collecting current data on over 200,000 railcars scattered across North America, the fleet of the TTX Company. Freight is constantly in motion, and this means data is constantly pouring in. Miranda Powell, a senior at UIC Business, is one of the analysts who makes sense of it all. “A railcar goes over alerts on the tracks, and we get data from each axle or 'truck' on each car,” says Powell. “Alerts... read more

Business Scholars at the Top of Wacker Drive

by Nicole Kaushanski One of the lessons I’m learning as a Business Scholar is that it’s never too early to make introductions at Chicago’s big firms. In the last month and a half, I’ve been introduced around two of the Big Four at their offices on Wacker Drive, and I’ve met people who have given me a much clearer picture of my career path. In late April, just a few weeks before the end of my freshman year, a small group of accounting students visited Deloitte at their downtown office, and a few... read more

A Scholar's Path To Tax Accounting

UIC Business Scholars met this morning at a restaurant near campus for their mid-semester check-in, an opportunity for the Scholars to reconnect with their mentoring families and take a break from studying for midterms. Collegiate Association of Business Scholars (CABS) members, upperclassmen and the Assistant Director of the Business Scholars Program were on hand to provide feedback, answer questions and catch up more generally over pizza. The UIC Business blog caught up with senior Scholar... read more

Bowling Together with the Business Scholars

Last Wednesday, the UIC Business Scholars got together with our faculty mentors to discuss something other than business for change - anything but, really - as we bowled together at The Alley in UIC’s Student Center East. UIC Business students are matched with faculty mentors when they enter the Business Scholars program. Our faculty mentors advise our courses of study and help us network in our chosen industries.   Business Scholar Elizabeth Milaicki has two faculty mentors this... read more

Collegiate Association of Business Scholars Welcomes New Officer

Following upon the great recruiting that happened last fall, the Collegiate Association of Business Scholars (CABS) has recruited fresh spring support to our Marketing Committee. Britney Scott, our new Marketing Officer, is a freshman Business Scholar and marketing major at UIC Business. She will support our blogging and content marketing across social media channels. Britney came to UIC from the Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy. “I came to UIC because students have such a large pool of... read more

Calling All UIC Entrepreneurs: Apply for Campus 1871

Text by Abhinaya Konduru. UIC Business students interested in Chicago’s startup community can't afford to miss Campus 1871, which takes place April 8-10 in downtown Chicago. The Campus 1871 application is due Sunday, February 14th. What is 1871? 1871 is a nonprofit tech incubator on the 12th floor of the Merchandise Mart. The name comes from the year of the Great Chicago Fire, though not from the fire itself. “It’s about what happened next,” says 1871’s website, “a remarkable moment when the... read more

The BAC Connection at UIC Business

The Business Advisory Council (BAC) at UIC Business dates back to 1969. It was one of the original organizations within the Business College, and remains one of the core connections between UIC Business and Chicago’s business community. Through BAC, countless UIC students have made their introductions to Chicago businesses over the years, and continue to do so. Toward the end of the fall '15 semester, BAC brought some Deloitte staff on campus to meet students. Sam Vaghmare, a freshman student in... read more

A Marketing Major's Schedule

After taking my last final, I felt great to be done, but sad to see my time with professors come to an end. I had some great teachers this year. So today I'm writing to give others some idea of my coursework, but also to recognize the great teaching in those classes. And maybe for students following behind me, this can offer a better idea of courses to register for in upcoming semesters. As a marketing major with a concentration in communications and promotions, my courseload has been heavy, and... read more