Business Scholars

Touring with an Atlantic Records Artist as a Creative Director

by Johnny Fan During 2016, I worked as a creative director for Atlantic Records music artist Sir the Baptist. I served as his touring photographer and videographer and digital marketing and branding manager.  Sir the Baptist offered me this opportunity after I worked on a magazine press shoot with him.  After that connection, he was impressed by my work and found a way for us to continue collaborating. The major function of my work with Sir the Baptist consisted of building the brand of the... read more

Pitching a Client as a General Mills Intern

by Lianne Ramahi   This past summer, I had the opportunity to work at General Mills, Inc. as a business management associate intern. This role was heavily focused on data analysis for the domestic western region sales team in Scottsdale, Ariz. Throughout this experience, I was given projects similar to those that would be performed as a first-year associate. I took ownership of impactful projects that added tangible value to the company.   General Mills truly values nurturing its employees... read more

Developing Banking Industry Expertise as a BMO Intern

by Jasur Rasulov This summer, I completed an internship as a treasury sales and services officer at the BMO Harris Bank’s Treasury and Payment Solutions group in Chicago. My group was responsible for delivering cash management services to commercial clients. In my role, I primarily supported sales teams across three markets-- mid-corporate, institutional, and engineering and construction--in the fulfillment of everyday banking products. On a daily basis, I prepared and executed lending... read more

From UIC Business to the Magic Kingdom

by Cynthia Mancilla   Beginning in June and continuing through the end of the year, I’ve been fortunate to be working for a mouse, Mickey Mouse, as a Consumer Insights Market Research intern at the Walt Disney Company offices in Orlando, Florida.   So far, I’ve had the great pleasure of researching consumers in the U.S. as well as international consumers in Mexico, Brazil, and Canada. Part of my role is assisting in qualitative and quantitative research projects across Disney parks and... read more

UIC Business Scholar Moves from Shiftgig to BMO Harris

UIC Business Scholar Alex Alderman, a finance major in his junior year, hasn’t wasted any time diversifying his resume. In the summer of 2015, Alderman began interning at Shiftgig. This summer, he moves on to an internship at BMO Harris. It all started by connecting with other Business Scholars. “Had I not been networking among the Business Scholars, I wouldn’t have gotten the Shiftgig job,” he says. “I was lucky to meet another Scholar who already had their foot in that door.” Shiftgig, a... read more

A Business Scholar Abroad

A few months ago, Business Scholar Liz Milaicki capped off her sophomore year with a summer semester abroad, studying in both Dublin and London and setting off at every opportunity to explore the European continent. Her overseas coursework earned her credit toward her minor in entrepreneurship, and her travels broadened her worldview and bolstered her personal independence.  Her studies abroad began in Dublin, where she ended up rooming with other Americans. "It worked out well," says... read more

Keeping Data on the Rails: Miranda Powell's Work at TTX

On any given weekday, a handful of analysts are working in an office above North Wacker Drive, collecting current data on over 200,000 railcars scattered across North America, the fleet of the TTX Company. Freight is constantly in motion, and this means data is constantly pouring in. Miranda Powell, a senior at UIC Business, is one of the analysts who makes sense of it all. “A railcar goes over alerts on the tracks, and we get data from each axle or 'truck' on each car,” says Powell. “Alerts... read more

Business Scholars at the Top of Wacker Drive

by Nicole Kaushanski One of the lessons I’m learning as a Business Scholar is that it’s never too early to make introductions at Chicago’s big firms. In the last month and a half, I’ve been introduced around two of the Big Four at their offices on Wacker Drive, and I’ve met people who have given me a much clearer picture of my career path. In late April, just a few weeks before the end of my freshman year, a small group of accounting students visited Deloitte at their downtown office, and a few... read more

A Scholar's Path To Tax Accounting

UIC Business Scholars met this morning at a restaurant near campus for their mid-semester check-in, an opportunity for the Scholars to reconnect with their mentoring families and take a break from studying for midterms. Collegiate Association of Business Scholars (CABS) members, upperclassmen and the Assistant Director of the Business Scholars Program were on hand to provide feedback, answer questions and catch up more generally over pizza. The UIC Business blog caught up with senior Scholar... read more

Bowling Together with the Business Scholars

Last Wednesday, the UIC Business Scholars got together with our faculty mentors to discuss something other than business for change - anything but, really - as we bowled together at The Alley in UIC’s Student Center East. UIC Business students are matched with faculty mentors when they enter the Business Scholars program. Our faculty mentors advise our courses of study and help us network in our chosen industries.   Business Scholar Elizabeth Milaicki has two faculty mentors this... read more

Collegiate Association of Business Scholars Welcomes New Officer

Following upon the great recruiting that happened last fall, the Collegiate Association of Business Scholars (CABS) has recruited fresh spring support to our Marketing Committee. Britney Scott, our new Marketing Officer, is a freshman Business Scholar and marketing major at UIC Business. She will support our blogging and content marketing across social media channels. Britney came to UIC from the Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy. “I came to UIC because students have such a large pool of... read more

Calling All UIC Entrepreneurs: Apply for Campus 1871

Text by Abhinaya Konduru. UIC Business students interested in Chicago’s startup community can't afford to miss Campus 1871, which takes place April 8-10 in downtown Chicago. The Campus 1871 application is due Sunday, February 14th. What is 1871? 1871 is a nonprofit tech incubator on the 12th floor of the Merchandise Mart. The name comes from the year of the Great Chicago Fire, though not from the fire itself. “It’s about what happened next,” says 1871’s website, “a remarkable moment when the... read more

The BAC Connection at UIC Business

The Business Advisory Council (BAC) at UIC Business dates back to 1969. It was one of the original organizations within the Business College, and remains one of the core connections between UIC Business and Chicago’s business community. Through BAC, countless UIC students have made their introductions to Chicago businesses over the years, and continue to do so. Toward the end of the fall '15 semester, BAC brought some Deloitte staff on campus to meet students. Sam Vaghmare, a freshman student in... read more

A Marketing Major's Schedule

After taking my last final, I felt great to be done, but sad to see my time with professors come to an end. I had some great teachers this year. So today I'm writing to give others some idea of my coursework, but also to recognize the great teaching in those classes. And maybe for students following behind me, this can offer a better idea of courses to register for in upcoming semesters. As a marketing major with a concentration in communications and promotions, my courseload has been heavy, and... read more

Business Scholars Spotlight: Michael Martinez, Class of 2019

1. Tell me a little about yourself. Hello! My name is Michael Martinez, and I'm a UIC Business Scholar. I'm pursuing a dual-degree at UIC: a BS in finance from UIC Business and a BS in biological sciences. As a dual degree student, I'm very passionate about my studies, and I'm always trying to expand the scope of my education. I'm a member of three UIC programs: the President's Award Program, the UIC Business Scholars, and the Guaranteed Professional Program Admissions for medicine (GPPA for... read more

Business Scholar Spotlight: William Perkins, Class of 2019

1. Tell us a little bit about yourself. My name is William (Bill) Perkins and I'm from Park Forest, Illinois. I graduated from Marian Catholic High School this last Spring. In high school, I played trombone, baritone and electric bass in the bands. I also launched a concert series my sophomore year that raised money for charities and important causes. In my free time, I ran my own booking agency, putting together concerts at local DIY venues. I was also very active in Boy Scouts, where I... read more

UIC Business Scholars Win Start Internships with PwC

After several rounds of interviews, UIC Business Scholars Keenan Jeffrey Artis and Yaritza Velasquez have been awarded PricewaterhouseCoopers Start internships. The Start internship is a three year program; Artis’ and Velasquez’ work for PwC will begin in Summer 2016 and continue through the following two summers. Artis and Velasquez, both freshman at UIC Business, and both double majors in Accounting and IDS, came to the Start internship from very different backgrounds. Velasquez, a graduate of... read more

Marketing 461 Relay Fun!

(Professor Chaplin's Consumer Behavior Class) On October 22, my Consumer Behavior class had a unique opportunity to take part in team building exercises that would ultimately help us grow stronger as teams and prepare ourselves to get ready for the toughest part of the course, our semester long project: a final paper and presentation. One probably does not expect experiential activities to happen every day in your average classroom--so this day was even more special for the... read more

Collegiate Association of Business Scholars hosts Peer Mentoring Event

Last Wednesday, the Collegiate Association of Business Scholars hosted a mid-semester check in event for the freshman Business Scholars at Jak’s Tap Restaurant. In the beginning of the year, each Freshman Scholar was paired with a Sophomore or Junior Scholar. The purpose of a peer mentoring program was to help each Freshman Scholar with their transition from high school to college.  The objective for the peer mentoring check-in was ensure that freshmen had a smooth transition to UIC and... read more

Do's & Don'ts: Freshman Year First Semester

Do's ​​​Do explore different majors, Chicago and who you are. Your next few years depend on the type of choices you make and who you become. It is time for you to explore and learn more about yourself. If you came with a major, is that really what you want to do? Do you know what type of work you will be doing once you graduate? Do you know which classes you need to take beyond the core classes? Below are a few questions you can ask yourself. You might not know all the answers, but by asking the... read more