As the start of the school year is rapidly approaching, I am excited to welcome our incoming UIC Liautaud students. To help our new students prepare for success at UIC Liautaud, I would like to share some helpful tips. If you are an incoming student for Fall 2012 in the MBA, MSA, MRE, or MIS programs, please read the list below and keep these things in mind as you get ready to start classes in a few weeks!
Top 5 Tips for New Liautaud Students
1. Come in for advising! All new students are required to have an academic advising appointment prior to starting in our programs. You can contact UIC Liautaud Student Services to schedule and sign up for advising by emailing us at askLGSB@uic.edu or calling us at 312-996-4573.
2. NETWORK. As you prepare to start your graduate degree program, know that the professional network you form while you are a student will be just as important as the diploma you receive once you graduate. UIC Liautaud will offer several opportunities throughout the year for you to engage and network with other students, alumni, and business professionals from Chicago and beyond.
3. Join a Student Organization. This goes hand-in-hand with networking; student organizations are a great way to enhance your Liautaud experience. Students involved in our organizations have more opportunities to network, meet leaders in the business world, and prepare for life after graduation. To learn more about our student organizations, make sure to attend the Organization Fair at UIC Liautaud Orientation on Saturday, August 25. Student organizations will also take turns hosting our Coffee and Conversation events during the first two weeks of the semester, so stop by to get some free coffee and learn more about these amazing groups!
4. Join us at our final New Student Networking event of the summer! This event will take place on Monday, August 13, and is a great opportunity for you to meet and interact with current Liautaud students, faculty, and staff. Attending this event will allow you to develop your academic and professional network even before you start classes.
Monday, August 13, 2012 from 6:00-7:30pm (Dinner and drinks will be provided!)
The Parthenon Restaurant, 314 S. Halsted, Chicago, IL 60607
5. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. The UIC Liautaud Student Services team is here to help you as you transition into your graduate program. We expect that most new students will have questions, and we encourage you to let us know if there is something you need! Please do not hesitate to contact us: askLGSB@uic.edu or 312-996-4573. You can also drop in to the Liautaud Office. Our hours are 8:30am-5:00pm Monday through Thursday and 8:30am-4:30pm Friday. Once classes start on August 27, we will be open until 6:00pm Monday through Thursday.
I look forward to meeting all of you as the school year starts, and I hope to see you all at our upcoming events!