Abhinaya Konduru

Do's & Don'ts: Freshman Year First Semester

Do's ​​​Do explore different majors, Chicago and who you are. Your next few years depend on the type of choices you make and who you become. It is time for you to explore and learn more about yourself. If you came with a major, is that really what you want to do? Do you know what type of work you will be doing once you graduate? Do you know which classes you need to take beyond the core classes? Below are a few questions you can ask yourself. You might not know all the answers, but by asking the... read more

LeaderShape Institute Part 2

Read Part 1 here. Day 4: Breaking down how to achieve your visions We learned about how to approach our visions and how to right down or goals for the future.  Highlight: Any activity that we did called "Star Power." This activity illustrated how my peers and I reacted to situations when given the options economically or politically. (To learn more about the activity google it!) Unexpected event: The chaos of the Start Power activity. By the end of the activity everyone was outraged and... read more

Trusting your instincts.

Life is full of choices and sometimes, we do not know where those choices take us. How can we make one choice when presented with an array of choices?” Like most people, I get advice from my parents, advisers, professors, or sometimes from Google itself. I try to think of all the pros and cons of choices after getting advice from the people around me. Then I make my choice. One of the biggest decisions that I have ever made in my life so far was choosing my college and major. I was accepted to... read more

The Eyes Have It

One of the most important part of talking to a stranger is making correct eye contact. “Well, what do you mean by correct eye contact?” I am not saying there is one correct form of eye contact. There are many ways you can interpret  eye contact depending on how long you make it, who you make it with, and where you make it. “Is there a right way to do it? Is there a formula?” Uhh...no. But there is one way to find it out. By experimenting and practicing with your peers in a new class,... read more

Ira Weiss on Starting a Start-up

Last Wednesday, I had the opportunity to hear Ira Weiss, a professor at the University Of Chicago-Booth School of Business and also an investor in start-up companies through Hyde Park Angels, speak as part of the UIC Business Scholars Speakers Series: A View From the Top. It was a great opportunity to learn about start-up companies and venture funding. Weiss did his undergraduate studies at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and received his MBA and PhD through University of Chicago... read more

What I Learned During My First Semester at UIC.

One of the biggest steps you take as a young adult is going to college. For the first time in your life, you are at a place where you have the freedom to make your own choices and be independent. It is your choice whether you eat junk food all day or keep up with your course load.   Before I started college, I had so many questions. Will I be able to fit into the environment? How am I going to adapt to this new life? How are the professors going to treat me like? How am I going to commute and... read more

Come Join the Finance and Investment Group

Is one of your New Year's resolutions to get more involved on campus? Are you looking to learn more about career fields in finance? Do you want to meet successful professionals and listen to what they have to say? Then join the Finance and Investment Group! FIG is a dedicated student organization that wants to provide students a glimpse into the real world by offering various workshops, professional speakers, stock game challenges, corporate field trips and much more. I have been part of FIG... read more

If You Struggle With Scholarship Applications, Then Read This

Applying for a UIC Business Scholarship this spring? Did you attend the How to Write an Effective Scholarship workshop? If not, do not worry! Here is a recap: The first thing to know, there are two different scholarships that you can apply for: Accounting Scholarships and General Business Scholarships. Follow this link to find the CBA Scholarship Application:  https://uic.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_55cN6tkwYtPESsR If you are an accounting major, email mwbryan@uic.edu for the accounting scholarship... read more

Tim Weithers Insight Into Trading Derivatives

Last week during Finance and Investment Group (FIG) professional event, Tim Weithers, executive director at Chicago Trading Company was here at UIC to talk to students about derivatives markets. He is also the author of “Foreign Exchange: A Practical Guide to the FX Markets” which was published in August 2006. Mr. Weithers received his PhD in Economics from University of Chicago. He started working as an Assistant Professor at Fordham University in New York. He then started working for the... read more

Event: The Affordable Care Act: Where's it going? How's it going?

Do you have health coverage? Have you heard about the Affordable Care Act? You might already have health coverage through your parents or school but now there is another option: health coverage through the Affordable Care Act. To learn more about the act and health coverage visit http://www.hhs.gov.   The main goal of the act: “This Act puts individuals, families and small business owners in control of their health care. It reduces premium costs for millions of working families and small... read more

My Alternative Spring Break!

During spring break, I decided to go on an adventure trip with a group of people that was organized by Alternative Spring Break, a student organization at UIC. It was a wonderful experience and the process to apply only took about a week. First you need to apply for your choice of trips and then go to an interview. After a couple of days you will be notified on what trip you will be going on. I was lucky to be placed on Cave Conservation trip to Kentucky. This trip consisted of seven days with... read more

Second Semester: Perfect Balance!

Now that grades are up finally up, the summer is officially starting. Here are some of my highlights and lessons that I learned during second semester. Classes: The classes that I had this semester were neither too hard nor too easy. Most of my classes required me to keep up with them all the time. If I did not do my part for one class, then I will be behind in the class. Also, the fact that I had four classes in a row did not help with my schedule, but I found new ways to help manage my time.
  • Do...
read more

My Interview Experience!

Recently, I had a phone interview with one of the top financial firms in New York. It’s a Summer Analyst Program for freshman and sophomores. I applied for this position in beginning of February on the company's website.                  Let me just start by saying, I did not expect an interview, but out of the blue during spring break, I received an email from the interviewer to set up a time.  This was one of the first things that I did right after spring break. Since the interviewer was in... read more

StartUp Series Events at UIC

Have you ever wanted to run your own business? Or do you already have a start up and need some help? Then you should definitely try to attend the “StartUp Series” event that has been taking place at UIC HIT every Monday from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM till the end of July. I have always had interest in starting up a business and also wanted to see all the fuss about start up companies now days. Sometimes it can be a make or break deal for your careers. So when I saw this free opportunity I was really... read more

Webinar series by Goldman Sachs

Have you ever been to an interview and the interviewer said, “Walk me though you resume?” If you have, your most likely response was that you listed all the great things on your resume in order.  Well, that might not be an ideal response. Think about it. The interview already has a resume in front of them and restating what they can all ready see is not ideal. To know what the best response is and other tips on resume and interview watch this recorded webinar hosted by Goldman Sachs. Also, from... read more

LeaderShape Institute Part 1

LeaderShape is a six-day institute to learn and get inspired about being a leader through different types of sessions. These are my experiences throughout the week.  Day 1: Mind blown Another UIC student and I drove down to Urbana-Champaign for the retreat place in the afternoon. Once we were there we met with the whole community and then divided into “family clusters” of no more than 10 people per cluster.  Highlight: Meeting people from all over the nation and learning about them. Unexpected... read more

Have You Heard About The Free Tutorials at CME Training Lab?

For the next few weeks there will be free tutorial sessions on the R programming language and Bloomberg in Douglas Hall CME Training Lab taught by professor John Miller. Why you should attend these tutorials?
  • Great way to add it to your resume and set yourself apart from other candidates.
  • One of the hottest topics in business field now.
  • You can utilize these skills in your internship or job.
  • If you are taking a course that uses one of the programs then, these tutorials can be great resources to...
read more